Marlin 1894 Cal. .32-20

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Marlin 1894 Cal. .32-20

Post by Tlee »

Jason wrote:
Thanks, Tim. Thanks for mentioning the specifics on the Marlin triggers, as my current project is my 1948 model 336A with the old trigger design. The angles on the trigger and hammer we're cut anywhere close to square or even parallel with each other from the factory, so this one is taking a lot of effort to correct. I was hoping to find a jig that I could use to let me do controlled coarser cutting that I want to do freehand in the limited time I have to work on it. I'll keep looking.
Jason -

I feel your pain... Since I don't have a spare trigger that'll work in the earlier 336A, I'm approaching mine very slowly and deliberately. I've gotten it down to about 4lbs, but not having much luck getting it lower without using a lighter hammer spring. I've even tried to use a spare later model 2 piece trigger/sear and hammer combination in the older gun, but it's gonna require some creative grinding on the newer trigger to get it to function in place of the old 1 piece trigger.

-Tim
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

You pretty much have to make your own filing jig unless working on something common like 1911's even the Goverments models one size does not fit all. Jig made to suit the individual set up is going to work better.

Any filing jig I draw up on paper then a wood prototype figure out were the pins need to go and what needs to be cut away. Then make it out of metal. Lot of trouble unless you plan to re-use it. Most of the time factory sear trigger relationship in something old and well made, not a parts gun, is Ok. If all it needs is to be touched up the jig can be simple just good enough to keep the stone from rocking couple of dozen strokes. If you do it on paper first some good stoning can be done by clamping the sear or hammer in a lined vice with the paper pattern behind, then pulled away for the actual stoning. Note we call them filing jigs, I never touch a sear/hammer with anything but a stone

There is a point for the fail to fire means weak ignition argument. Sometimes, not often, shoot a pair of S&W 625 45acp's in IDPA. big double actions most speed revolver shooters run very light hammer fall to keep the total pull reasonable. Get down to the edge in strike most fails to fire are due to poor primer seating, not all the way down takes up some of the energy when the hammer hits. If the primers are not seated well the load is not going to group well.

Boats
GabbyJs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by GabbyJs »

I received and installed a one piece firing pin in my Marlin .32-20. That took care of everything. Fires rifle primers and also fired my previous loads that were tried which had light firing pin strikes.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

In concept the two piece Marlin Pin is just wrong. Better off with less between the hammer and primer. Hammer - Pin - Primer that's all

Boats
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

GabbyJs wrote:I have a Marlin 94 in .32-20 that I'm having trouble with cartridges firing. I'm using a Wild West Guns trigger with a Wolfe hammer spring, that has slightly over 2 lbs. trigger pull on the Lyman electronic gauge. I've tried CCI200, CCI-BR4, and Rem. 7 1/2 primers. I've sorted both Rem. and Starline brass to eliminate any rim thicknesses under .060" to eliminate headspace problems. I made an expander plug that sizes the brass to a straight outside, and then gradually size the brass back down to .32 cal. till it fits my chamber. There is only about a 1/4" straight section for bullet tension. I am considering using a CCI500 pistol primer in the rifle chamber, since they supposedly are for softer hammer blows. I've been loading 9 gr. of Alliant 2400 powder. I'm using Laser Cast 115 gr. bullets. Has anyone had any bad experience using the pistol primers in the Marlin rifle chamber? Any other thoughts to offer? I want to keep the trigger pull to match my other rifles.

The Wolf mainsprings are almost guaranteed missfires, even with one piece firing pins in my 50+ years of Marlin experiance.Been there ,done the same thing,got the same results.Others milage may vary.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

New IDPA shooters always mess around with Automatic pistol recoil springs, Wolf is a hot item. Experenced IDPA shooters almost always run factory springs.

Boats