Oklahoma City CLA 2011

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Oklahoma City CLA 2011

Post by glen ring »

We are trying to start up CLA at the Oklahoma city Gun Club. We have all the paperwork and will start in March. This whole thing was handed to us when we volunteered . We'll be shooting with the IHMSA folks and have target setters. It's a great range.

If you come shoot with us please forgive our initial mistakes. We're new to keeping the paperwork, but have many pins ($500.00 worth) donated by Master Gun maker Dan Zimmerman of Oklahoma City.
Just Be Nice **==
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Oklahoma City CLA 2011

Post by krgriggs »

Glen, I plan on attending few of your matches, I shoot at Tappan Hill Gun Club in Kansas. Just letting you know our club is hosting a Cowboy lever regional, hoping to get all you shooters at the Oklahoma City club to shoot our regional on October 1st & 2nd!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

We will be planning on coming there for sure. If You have time, send /e-mail some cool places to stay a few days that are in the area. My wife and I have been married 34 years and have never had a vacation just only us. Kids are gone, friends are dropping,so we're having fun and planning shooting vacations. We'll be at Raton for two weeks attending the nationals and New Mexico state match. Then were coming to Kansas to shoot your regional.
Just Be Nice **==
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

Hey Glen,
I am planning on shooting your March 19th shoot, I will bring Tappan Hills program & registration for the regional match so you will have the info. I am limiting the regional to 48 competitors at this point so you might want to sign up early, I don't know how many entries to expect. So do you guys shoot all three guns ?
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Krgriggs
We will gladly sign up for your regional. My wife and I shoot all three guns and we're trying to get the berm and targets for small bore. The targets were made and donated by master Gun maker Dan Zimmerman . We'll welcome any advice and pointers you guys can give us . Shooting beside the Ihmsa folks isn't a problem.
Just Be Nice **==
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Our first CLA match was great, a little cool in the morning (24) but we had fun. We had seven shooters and the winner was Tony Smith shooting a 33 with his 357. We have invited some folks who have never shot competitively and we'll be providing them with lever guns and Ammo on the 19th. Any of you in the area come shoot. If you come shoot and want to get home early my wonderful wife will stop shooting , fill out your books, give you your pins and wish you a happy trip home. The IHMSA guys think it's really cool seeing someone that can actually hit targets standing with iron sights.

We're going to make a few posters and place them in the local ( within 40 miles) gun stores and shops. We will also approach some of these shops for door prizes. This sport seems to be very appealing to first time competitors that like to just plink with guns. Middle age guys that have never competed just seem to like a Lever gun. I guess all those westerns we watched as kids had some effect.

We'll try to show the Kansas guys a good match if you'll bring an entry and directions for your regional .
Just Be Nice **==
krgriggs
B Poster
B Poster

Post by krgriggs »

Looking forward to shooting with you guys & gals the 19th. Please do a better job with the temperature after all I am heading south. 33 a pretty good score, it's going to be tough to beat you okies, after all this isn't basketball!
Cimarron
Unclassified Poster

Post by Cimarron »

glen ring is there a web site for the Oklahoma City Gun club where I could find out more about Cowboy Lever Action. I would sure like to visit and observe a match or two before I made a fool out of myself. I live west of Tulsa so Oklahoma City is not that far for me. Thanks for any information.
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Cimarron Red »

Cimarron,

Here's the web site for the OKC gun club. I don't think they have anything posted re: lever action silhouette yet. Glen should be around in a little while to give you some more information.

http://www.okcgunclub.org/
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Cimarron

Cowboy Lever Action is about the most laid back of the shooting sports. We shoot tomorrow at around 1000hrs at the silhouette range at the Oklahoma city gun club. Pull up the rules on Cowboy Silhouette and I'll bet you have a gun that is Legal in Small bore ( 22lr) , Pistol cartridge lever action and Big bore lever action. A stock 30-30 and 40 factory or handloaded rounds will get you through your first match shooting at steel targets from 50 yards to 200 yards. Iron/peep sights standing no support. We'll get at the range a little early and show you what we know about shooting this sport. Watch or better yet shoot and have a good time.
Just Be Nice **==
mikemayberry
Unclassified Poster

Post by mikemayberry »

I am one of the guys that came on board around this time due to Glen and his wife and their knowledgable encouragement. I can honestly say I've had more fun shooting this past year and a half than I have had in many years. The amount of competition is just right--you are really shooting against your own past scores rather than the other shooters. My free-hand skills have gone way up!

The first time I shot I think I got 11 points. Today (August 2012), I shot my first 30. My early round went really south and I still shot a 27 so things have really changed and this is something I look forward to twice a month at the Oklahoma City Gun Club.

Right now, I focus on lever action .22 small bore. Now that I am beginning to get some repeatable form, I am getting ready to venture into handgun calibers and big bore.

Anyone that thinks this might be fun should try it because it is!

Mike M :D