Redfield 75

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Redfield 75

Post by boats »

2nd on the clubs using existing targets and ranges. Without it our club would never have started CLA Rimfire and Pistol. Special Cowboy target would be a serious obstacle.

Our club silhouette was just about dying, 4 years ago. Our Hunter Pistol MD picked up Cowboy Small bore and Lever same range same targets and it re-vitalized the whole program. Our Conventional HP program has a very low turn out and we are looking hard at ways to expand the range to allow us to shoot Conventional HP mornings and CLA Rifle afternoons.

2 Club swinger matches on the Cowboy Rams Center fire and Rimfire has been a good entry level match too. Not as hard as switching animals lots of new shooters try it and switch over regulation silhouette either Cowboy Rim or Center Fire. Good Cowboy shooters use it to hone there Ram count too.

This Sat I have 19 pre registered for Conventional Small bore Silhouette with a max capacity of 20. Afternoon on the CLA rimfire rams hung from swingers have 23 pre reg also 1 from capacity. look at the names lot of crossover shooters that would not have tried one discipline without the other.

Give them something to shoot thats fun and does not have a high price barrier to entry they will turn out. Cowboy fits the bill.

Boats
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

After causing all this commotion and having what I think is a thorough debate (as if anyone is listening), I think Al had the best conclusion. Just raise the levels of the classifications. This way no club goes broke making new targets and the lesser shooters have a big target to shoot at, thereby creating enthusism in the sport and hopefully spur them to get better. Not many of us have a shooting career like Mr. Tello or Tubb or Sanchez, so shooting perfect or near perfect is just not in the cards. Those guys could shoot sling shots and still kick our butts. Al, I think the NRA should follow what was instituted when the game began and thank you for mentioning it. It never occured to me.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

tenx9 wrote:After causing all this commotion and having what I think is a thorough debate (as if anyone is listening), I think Al had the best conclusion. Just raise the levels of the classifications. This way no club goes broke making new targets and the lesser shooters have a big target to shoot at, thereby creating enthusism in the sport and hopefully spur them to get better. Not many of us have a shooting career like Mr. Tello or Tubb or Sanchez, so shooting perfect or near perfect is just not in the cards. Those guys could shoot sling shots and still kick our butts. Al, I think the NRA should follow what was instituted when the game began and thank you for mentioning it. It never occured to me.
Hmmmmm :-? I do seem to remember hearing about a story about Mr Tubb and a sling shot match :D
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Bob259 wrote:
tenx9 wrote:After causing all this commotion and having what I think is a thorough debate (as if anyone is listening), I think Al had the best conclusion. Just raise the levels of the classifications. This way no club goes broke making new targets and the lesser shooters have a big target to shoot at, thereby creating enthusism in the sport and hopefully spur them to get better. Not many of us have a shooting career like Mr. Tello or Tubb or Sanchez, so shooting perfect or near perfect is just not in the cards. Those guys could shoot sling shots and still kick our butts. Al, I think the NRA should follow what was instituted when the game began and thank you for mentioning it. It never occured to me.
Hmmmmm :-? I do seem to remember hearing about a story about Mr Tubb and a sling shot match :D
I recall matches where I think I'd have hit more chickens if I'd been using a slingshot, LOL!

Concerning target sizes, I occasionally shoot an informal/practice match using 3/8ths scale targets, and my pig/ram bank scores fall right in line with the 1/2 scale scores. Chicks and turkeys are within 20% of 1/2 scale scores, but I get more leg hits instead of center mass due to their size and a slight difference in their distance (we shoot the 3/8 scale turkeys at 77 meters).

- Tim
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Our club nobody has ever shot a perfect score. If so easy sort out men from boys is run a 60 shot match. That will hold things down.

Real issue is the middle of the road to little bit better shooters, they can get discouraged when same guys win all the time. Our club we do a lot to keep them interested. Recognition of "most improved" anybody bettering there personal best, and make sure we publish scores by class as well as overall. Afternoon non regulation match we pay back most of the entry fees in cash. Pay 1- 2 -3 10th and 15th place

Boats
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tenx9, I was told the reason they changed the classifications was to more evenly distribute the shooters from Master to B. There were few Masters a resonable amount of AAA's, a lot of AA's and A's, and a few B's. Now what I see in our area of the country is a few more Masters, a large amount of AAA's, a few AA's, very few A's and hardly any B's. I am of the opinion that things were better off left alone. True a shooter can advance quicker now; but he may move up and forever lanquish at the bottom of his new class and never win again, become discouraged and quit. I would like to think we all shoot mostly because it's fun while presenting us with some challenge, but it is nice to win once and a while.

One other point I would like to make to the scope gun shooters and the occasional lever gun shooter is this game is at times not as easy as has been suggested. We are very much affected by lighting conditions. Bright skys and the angle of the sun, even shadows can make it almost impossible to see the animals sometimes. If you shoot enough matches in a season this will happen at some time or another. If you want to be frustrated go to big match with high expectations of doing well; and try shooting at something you can't even see

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

In their infinate wisdom the NRA did something similar in Conventional Bullseye Pistol years ago. To reach Expert you needed to make 90%, and to reach Master you needed 95%. Well, its pretty easy to reach Expert, so you had lots and lots of Experts. Usually, at decent size 2700 you had primarily a couple of masters, a huge Expert turnout, a very sparse Sharpshooter class and a few newbie marksmen. Going from expert to master is tough, like 45 points per gun. So, good experts that shot 93 to 94% would throw shots in order not to go to master where they wouldn't win a thing. So instead of breaking up the Expert class, making it Expert@90% and High Expert @92.5% they made the slowfire target smaller. In their wisdom, it was now harder to make Expert. Brillant!! Thats what we're dealing with.