Long action HP silhouette rig?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Long action HP silhouette rig?

Post by dustinflint »

I have a Rem Model 700 30-06 that I haven't shot in a few years and dont plan to ever shoot again. It may as well become a doner action for a HP silhouette rig. The problem is that it's, of course, long action. My question is, what should I do to it?? I thought of going with a long action .260 but I really dont know much about what other options I have. So you guys should tell me what's best.

I'll be shooting it single shot, so there wont be feeding issues.

BTW, this is my first post here - I started shooting silhouette about 3 months ago and have been shooting smallbore, air rifle and cowboy with this awesome crew of guys in Louisiana - Having a great time with it all!

Dustin
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Long action HP silhouette rig?

Post by 44 mag »

You would have no problems making it A 260, 7mm08, or 6.5x55. I have seen this done buy several people. All that I have seen have no issues. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks for the reply! Out of those calibers, which do you recommend?

Dustin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dustin,
Welcome to the addiction....I have also seen a 700 long action in 6.5X47 Lapua.

6.5 caliber is easier on the recoil, either 260 or the 6.5X55 or 6.5X47.

Not sure which group you are with in Louisana but Jerry P Tureau has quite a bit of experience/data with HP and the loads.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks for the info, Mary.

I've talked to Jerry at length about the HP subject (and all other silhouette subjects) but we haven't discussed the long action question because I just remembered that this rifle exists! I had forgotten all about it. Jerry and I are riding to Mississippi together to a match Saturday so we'll have a few hours to discuss it.

Jerry, Jeaux and Dee have all been EXTREMELY helpful to me. (If I send one more text message or email to Jeaux with a question, he might shoot me... which would be bad, because he doesn't miss!)

I have a 24 inch 7-08 Model 700 barrel sitting around, so I think my plan is to put that barrel on the action and shoot that while I learn. When that barrel is toast, I'll put a custom barrel and a nice stock on it.

I'll probably go with 6.5x47 at that time since that's what most of the guys around here are shooting. My biggest concern was with such a small bullet cycling properly so it's nice to know that you've seen it done and it'll work!

Dustin
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

I have a short action on my standard rifle in 6.5x47, and I have a long action on my hunter rifle in 6.5x47, haven't had any problems with a short case in a long action. Would have liked to put a short action together for my HR, but in this economy, ya gotta do what your finances decide.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Thanks Jim, great info. Sounds like 6.5x47 in long action is the long-term plan.

Dustin
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Dustin, on the up side of the long action is that the bullets when set long in the case won't hang up in the magazine. :-bd
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

That makes sense to me. It seems like the only issue with a short action caliber in a long action is feeding from the magazine. I originally wasn't worried about that, thinking that I'd just shoot it single shot, until Jeaux burst my bubble and referred me to the section of the rule book where it requires all hunter guns to feed from the magazine. (rules...ugh).

It's a relief to know that the long action might actually be HELPFUL to feeding from the mag. Thanks for the input!

Dustin
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

For the 6.5x55 you need a long action anyway since it is just a bit too long to fit in a short action.
Also, the Lapua brass is much cheaper in 6.5x55 than 6.5x47 or .260.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

What are the pros and cons between the 6.5x47 and the 6.5x55 for silhouette? I have a 260; it's great but my barrel is very light and thin, too small for the repeated shots of silhouette.

Dustin
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

This is interesting because there might actually be some benefits to using a long action. We tend to focus on the short action because it is a few ounces lighter and the lock time is a bit quicker.

The long actio is roughly a half inch longer than a short action which puts the barrel just a bit further forward. The few long action rifles I have handled had a good hang to them. The extra magazine length improves the feed angles and frees you up to have the chambered so that the bottom of the bullet's bearing surface is above the neck/shoulder junction in a 260 Rem for example. Getting more of the bullet out of the case increases the powder capacity as well. Perhaps someone with the proper software could "run the numbers".

If you put in one of David's speedlock pins, I doubt you would be able to notice the difference in locktime as a practical matter.

As an aside, Rem short action do not have the best reputation when it comes to feeding.

So jus do it and don't worry about your rifle not being a short action.

Cheers
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

Here is an article on the 6.5s:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shoo ... creedmoor/

The author concludes that there is little difference. The same probably goes for the 6.5x55 except that the Swede won't fit in a short action.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

The 6.5 x 47 Lapua brass is very expensive. It also takes a small rifle primer. 6.5 x 47 or 260 brass can be made from inexpensive 243 brass with very little problem.

If I had a long action I would probably go with the 6.5 x 55 sweed. I think it has been under rated for a very long time. Reloading data for the sweed is based on the old action mausers and if you have a modern action you can bump up the loads for it quite a bit.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to throw this 7-08 barrel on for now and make a decision when it comes time to customize the rifle some. it seems like the 6.5x47 and the 6.5x55 are both good choices.

There is certainly lots of opportunity to spend money and experiment in this game :)

Dustin