Rossi Rio Grande .30-30 as first CF levergun

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
hunta270
Unclassified Poster

Rossi Rio Grande .30-30 as first CF levergun

Post by hunta270 »

Ive just bought myself a stainless Rossi Rio Grande for hunting and silouette and was wanting to know peoples opinions on this rifle and whether or not its a good entry level gun? also anyone know what sights i can get for it for silouette i've found skinner sights but somoene at my range said they're to crude for silouette and target shootin and more suited for hunting. i found this discouraging as they appear to go with the lines of the rifles so well unlike the side mounted sight others have on their rifles... any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated as i am completely new to this form of competetion thanks..
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Rossi Rio Grande .30-30 as first CF levergun

Post by boats »

On the front Skinners sights are good ones if you want to stay authentic. Lyman 17A's are good choices too but have the target rifle look.

Rear you need to change for different banks of animals. Never saw a sucessfull hold over shooter. Lymans and Williams both do that well and are under a hundred bucks. Tangs have potential & look right but there can be problems with the inexpensive tang sights, They are generaly shaky and for me akward finding the correct setting. Set it wrong next relay you are going to miss for sure. Had a Marbles on a used rifle I bought and sold it off in favor of a Lyman 66 A good tang sight is very good and cost a lot. Have a look at MVA's web site. The ones without the adjustment screw Veneer only are less expensive and work very well. Rear sight is the most important part of the entire outift if you want to do well in matches.

Boats