New Cowboy Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Shooter

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Steelshooter
B Poster
B Poster

New Cowboy Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Shooter

Post by Steelshooter »

Have shot both smallbore and highpower rifle and NRA pistol silhouette in the past. Finally have some free time to enjoy the sport again, and just picked up a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag, at a price I could not turn down.

I'm hoping this rifle is competitive? Have ordered Marble rear peep sight and will be mounting a Lyman globe front sight with blade insert.

From shooters experience, how competitive will this rifle be? What cast bullet loads (grain wt and powder combination) would you suggest. Are shooters using different bullet weights for the ranges out to 100 yds/mtrs?

Stopped and watched one of the matches at Aurora Gun Club in the Denver Metro area, and felt it would be a lot of fun to shoot. NRA pistol has evaporated from the area, and hoping this will be my fix for that. Also understand this may be shot at CRC in the future.

Used to be a member of the old Gateway Rifle Club out east, and then migrated to the Aurora and Cherry Creek clubs.

Thanks much!
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: New Cowboy Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Shooter

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Steelshooter, CRC is now hosting lever gun silhouette , all three guns. Check out our website ...go to the events calendar for dates and contact persons.
http://crci.org/
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I shoot A marlin cowboy in 44 mag with 7 grns of unique and a 240 speer no target damage and little recoil. Not to familier with the henery just there small bore guns. Some guys said they were not holding up to well. You will enjoy pc with the 44 mag. It sure makes the chickens fly.
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Dont worry too much about stoking up some hot loads or switching loads from animal to animal. Just find one load that shoots accurately in your rifle and stick with it. Any target you hit with the .44 is going find itself flat on the ground in short order, regardless of the amount of powder behind it. In my Uberti, I have found that the Lasercast bullets shoot very well indeed using Blue Dot powder. Come down to Yuma for a little while, we will get you all tuned up and addicted to Lever Action. Might as well start looking for a 39a, you will soon find yourself "needing" one. :lol: