6XC for highpower

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
topgun526
B Poster
B Poster

6XC for highpower

Post by topgun526 »

Hello all,
What does anyone think about a 6MM XC for silhouettes? I bought a Tubb 2000 last fall and fell in love with the caliber. I know the rifle is not legal for use but I've got a Rem 700 action and a worn out 7mm-08 thought about rebarreling it.
I would be using SMK 107's for C,P,T and D-TAC 115 for rams.
Has any one used the D-Tacs?
According to my ballistic program the 115's going 2900FPS at the muzzle will still be going 2100+ at 500 and have 1217 ft/lbs.
Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks,
Brian
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 6XC for highpower

Post by lone ringer »

topgun526, if you are going to shoot a few HP silhouette matches and the targets at your local ranges are not too heavy it is possible for you to be competitive using a 6mm but for the most part we have given up trying to do it ourselves. There was a time when hunting class had to be shot with factory cartridges and 6.5's like the 260 were not available so we did it with rifles chambered in 243's and 6mm Remington. The down side was ringing a lot of rams with them if the conditions were not right, the targets heavy etc.
If you are considering taking up HP silhouette seriously your 7-08 is a much better cartridge for the sport and you can always re-barrel to a 6.5X47 Lapua or 260 Remington which would give you the option of going with 107's like the 6mm's for the first three targets and go to a 140 or heavier bullet for rams. Just my 2 cents worth and welcome to the highly addicting sport of rifle silhouette in case you have not done it before.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Ditto on what lone ringer says...I shot a 6 mm Br a smaller cousin of your 6 xc...I had no issues shooting the hornady amax 105 at a slower speed than normal about 2500 but the 7-08 will work alot better and the 6.5 mm will let you up the bullets to 142-144 and it will be a whole lot more effective. Besides the brass is also a lot cheaper !! The 6.5X47 lapua is also excellent but the brass is pricy too.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

ive been shooting a 6XC as my back up hunter rifle for 2 years now, and this past year i have shot many matches with it. i have also won many matches with it. the 115's balance on the edge of drive them to slow and you will lose rams and to fast you blow the bullets up on impact. with all the load testing and actual ram performance that FPS window is about 100 FPS. one big plus is that its one of the best wind shooting cartidges i have ever shot and i wish i took it to raton last year. windy matches i hear guys with 7mm, 6.5 BR's talk about how much wind they got. i hear alot of 4 mins of wind. they then ask me and i reply "oh about a 1-1 1/2 mins" boy do their eyes light up...
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
topgun526
B Poster
B Poster

Post by topgun526 »

Deadeyeky

I'm running 115's 2888fps right now getting 1/4 min groups off the bench. What's the speed needed to knock'em down(rams) but not blow'em up (bullets)
Are the 107's speed sensitive on turkeys also? Got them running 2918 fps.

Thanks
Brian
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I've used the 115 grain dtac a couple of times out of a 6br. Looks like it works fine on rams, I have not checked how fast mine are, but I would guess about 2600-2700 fps. Why not use it for all 4 animals? When I buy them from David's website, they cost less for 500 than you would pay for the regular Sierra 107's or Lapua 105's anyway? About $119 a box of 500's (I use the coated ones at $124 a box). I was thinking of moving up to a 6 Dasher, but not yet. I'm going to mess with it a little more, it seems to hit a bit harder than the 107's or 105's without blowing up, but I would not push it past 3,000 fps.
--Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Turkeys are easy to knock over, easier than pigs. A 100 gr bullet at 2900 fps doesn't leave any standing.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

+1 Jerry, for my cpt load I'm pushing my dtac 115's at 2750 with 1/2 min group at 400m, my ram load is the 115 hunting VLD going at 3025, it is quite a stiff load and sometimes cuts my eyebrow open if I'm not careful. I would say 3050 is the max you can push the Berger without blowing it up on rams, I used to use 41grs of 4350 an I lost many rams while my spotter says I covered the ram with lead dust:) lol, back my load up and now only lose a few rams, maybe 2 or 3 rams per ten at most depending on the condition of the ram line... But the wind bucking capability sure outweighs the amount of rang rams
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I guess I should have been more clear. I use the 100s on the 3 close animals and use the 107s on the rams. They squirt out just under 3000 fps. If there is a strong wind holding the animals up from the back I do loose a few rams with low in the front (heart and front leg) shots. I haven't seen much difference between the 107s and the 115s because the 115s are a little slower.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I shot one bullet weight only in my 6br...did not see the advantage to use diffrent bullets other than to complicate the loading and sorting process..I shot the 105amax and found that these bullets worked better on the steel....call me lucky but I lost no animals that I hit and I only shot them at about 2500 or so. I would have tried the dtac's but they will not shoot in 1-8 twist at 6br velocities as well as the 105-107 weights.