Wolf Match wins again

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Wolf Match wins again

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Hey all,
Today I sighted in my new CZ 452 silhouette. I tested Wolf Match, Federal automatch, CCI standard velocity (not green tag), and Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics. Standard Velocty in all ammo. I have done this in both my Match 10/22, and now the CZ. Smallest groups in both came from the WM. I use these ammo choices in order to keep cost down. It's smallbore, if I want to shoot for 30 cents a shot, I could use my .223, as my reloading costs about that much. the 10 cents a shot of WM is as high as I want to go. Also, I do not like the waxed ammo like Eley. It may be fine, but I am just paranoid about the wax gumming up the action, and I can't get past it.

I test ammo at 25 yards, due to the range I belong to only has 25 yards, then jumps to 100 yards. In the 10/22, Wolf Match was .16", followed closely by CCI Standard Velocity at .17". In the CZ, the Wolf also showed .16", followed next by the Fiocchi at .27". The CCI lagged a bit.

IMHO you can't beat the Wolf Match ammo for the buck. Especially in smallbore silhouette, where I burn lots of rounds for practice. My 10/22 shoots .82" at 100 yards. The CZ shot today 1.2" at 100 yards, but the wind was gusting today, steady 8mph gusting to 12-15.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOPE? Boy, do I look like a hippy to you?
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Wolf Match wins again

Post by Innocent »

How many minutes are you moving to get the Wolf at 100?
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

I like the wolf and SK for closer shooting. In all my rifles Eley target has been the best budget ammo. At rams I can't get the wolf and SK to group consistently. Elevation isn't consistent. Compared to Eley Match and Tennex the SK shoots 2 minutes lower at Rams here at the house. Everyones rifle of course likes something different. I'm going to step up to premium ammo as soon as I run out of Eley target. Overall shooting in different conditions the EPS bullets seem to be effected less. I want to shoot some Lapua and compare them to the Eleys. Something about the EPS bullet impresses me. I'm going to set up the chronograph and shoot from Rams distance to see if they are holding their velocity better.
JasonPeterson
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Miss Mary,
I believe I had to go 5 moa in clicks to get to rams. I will double check, and re-post if I'm wrong.

JP-
Ive gone through just shy of 2000 rounds of Wolf MT, and I can only recall 1 flier that went low when I know I had a good hold. Otherwise, no problems to speak of. No misfires at all. And the .8 moa with the 10/22 is nothing to shake a stick at. I do like some of the Lapua and Aguila, but if I'm gonna shoot at 45-65 cents a shot, I could just about reload .308 for that, and may as well shoot HP. In fact, if I get 8 shots minimum out of the brass, I'm pretty sure it comes out to right around 50 cents a shot.
jjp
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jjp »

At 50 yards and in they are pretty consistent. Just not at 100 meters. I shoot 10 10 shot groups at 100 meters just to start testing. Of course you can cherry pick a few good groups. I want to see how they work over a a bigger test. They are plenty good for Silhouette. As long as they will stay under an 1.5" at 100 meters. They will work out fine.

If you have only had one flier over 2k. That's some awesome ammo. I just don't see testing at 25 yards for a sport that you shoot 40 to 100 meters. I shoot everything at 100 and it weeds out the not so good lots alot quicker.
JasonPeterson
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Sure,
I only test at 25 yards for grouping. Then move to 100 yards with the best 2 to see if it's consistent. Then I go zero on the practice swingers at the range. The range I normally compete on is in yards due to lack of distance available. BUT, I do practice at meters as well, so I'm ready to go for other tourneys. Anyway, I zero at each distance from a tripod rest, and verify groups on freshly painted swingers. Then I go from there. So far, the WM shoots plenty consistent for silhouette from what I've seen.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I like the SK as well. Got half a case and wish I have ordered at least one or more of the lot I received. Tureau and I shot some benched groups at 100m and we both shot all 3 five shot groups well under 1". He was so impressed he called Champions to try and order 2 cases but it was all gone.

I have a few Cabelas cards I need to burn and I see they have Wolf. Will probably get 5 bricks of it to try as well.

From what I have read recently it seems SK it kind of hit or miss lot to lot more so than normal these days. Which would mean Wolf is lkely the same way.

I'll pony up mo money for better ammo when I feel the ammo I am getting is holding me back and that is not the case as of yet :roll: As for testing ammo at 25y I guess shooting is shooting and fun to do even if it doesn't tell you what you really need to know you get to smell the powder ;)

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

My experience with Wolf is that it groups fairly well to 77 m, then the spread is about the same as most other ammos, except the drop is almost another two minutes over just about any other brand. Seems it doesn't like going out that far, but YMMV.

Mary

nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Mary,

What is your normal come-up from 40m to 100m with Wolf?

I generally need -- bottom of scope tube about 3/4" above the action -- about 8.25 moa in average temperatures.
E Kuney
Mt_Medic31
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Mt_Medic31 »

Nomad,
I know you're asking mary, but with my 10/22, using wolf, the moa change is from 6.75 to 10, so 3.25 moa. The scope is not very high over the action, maybe 1/4" from top of tube to bottom of Bell. Maybe 1/2 or 9/16 from action to tube.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Nomad and Mt MEd..
my zeros at chickens to rams for most ammos is 8 to 9 minutes (Premier/Leupold) on standard height mounts.
for all the lots and varieties of Wolf (about a dozen at least) it is close to 12minutes, usually at least 11.5 same scope and rifle and mounts. I have not shot the SK Jag in this rifle, except one time in PA this year using the Laupa grouping rig, and they told us to start at our normal ram setting and go up two minutes...the first round still hit the edge of the rig at 6 o'clock, I went up another minute to avoid further damage to the equipment.

Mary

nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

MtMed,

I'm not sure that I understand how you obtained your numbers.

Mary,

FWIW, I see no practical difference between Wolf MT and SK Standard Plus. Next match we shoot together, remind me and I'll let you shoot some of my SK. I can't understand (assuming we begin with a confirmed 40m zero with the SK) why there would be the amount of difference in drop that we're seeing.
Cathy sold me a good lot of Eley with the EPS bullet that will shoot above my SK ram setting -- but it starts off above my SK chicken setting. If I rezero, the overall come-up does favor the Eley, but it isn't greatly dissimilar.
E Kuney