Matches using swinger targets

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Matches using swinger targets

Post by caseyboy »

Has anyone shot an air rifle match that used swingers. Proper scale and proper distances except that there was only one target for each animal that you took 10 shots at in two relays of five and kept score that way? Any pros or cons to this? Is it even legal?

caseyboy
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Matches using swinger targets

Post by Dee »

Should be legal if the sizes are right and the distances are correct, even then you can usually adjust for available distances if you can scale your animals accordingly. We are about to start up High Power Matches using swingers all scaled for 300 yards as that is as far as we have and it is easy to setup and takedown without dedicated rails etc. On our smallbore range we use free standing targets and resetables and the Rams are scaled to 100 yards. We use resetables for airgun as well. If I recall a few years ago at Raton they shot swingers for the Nationals because the wind kept knocking the targets off the rails. :shock: Thats breeeeeeezieeee..

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

caseyboy wrote:Has anyone shot an air rifle match that used swingers. Proper scale and proper distances except that there was only one target for each animal that you took 10 shots at in two relays of five and kept score that way? Any pros or cons to this? Is it even legal?

caseyboy
I suggest that if you are going to do that may as well shoot paper targets, its easier to keep score that way specially shooting air rifles.
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

Thanks Dee and lone ringer. I cut out the four animals at 1/10 scale and will set up at the reg. distances. The idea is to run small matches without having to constantly call cease and shut down the whole range to set targets. Others can shoot whatever it is they shoot and we would not be an inconvenience. When a cease fire is called, a quick spray with paint and the targets are good to go and the hanger will also be repainted so that it can be seen if the hanger was hit which caused the target to swing.

I am hoping to spark interest so that one day with enough shooters, we can buy enough sets of "proper targets" and run "proper matches". Currently our club only runs monthly smallbore matches.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

caseyboy wrote:Has anyone shot an air rifle match that used swingers. Proper scale and proper distances except that there was only one target for each animal that you took 10 shots at in two relays of five and kept score that way? Any pros or cons to this? Is it even legal?

caseyboy
Caseyboy, Another option, although a litlle more pricey, is the resetables. We have one bank (5 animals) of each of the animals and all you do is pull the string to reset the animals between each time period. Works great, after we got the bugs worked out. If you have enough shooters and your club is willing to go the costs it works out well and you can cycle people through a lot faster then having to go down and 'find' the chickens.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

bob, how much did you have per set of 5 resettables, and where did you find them? thanks
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Hawk-1 wrote:bob, how much did you have per set of 5 resettables, and where did you find them? thanks

We got them from Stimson Enterprises in Texas. If I recall correctly we paid about $600 shipped to upstate NY. Not sure if they are in business anymore as teh link I had doens't work.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
thskeer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by thskeer »

Noteworthy isn't taking orders either. :( Sure would like to find a source for a bank of each in both air and smallbore. Tom
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jeaux »

I have a set of resettables that I would be willing to sell. I will be at the Southern Nationals the first weekend in June if you are interested I could bring them up there. They are the Scioneaux design and are very tough to last a lifetime. Simple reset mechanism with a back plate to deflect misses into the ground. Price is $450 FOB Winnsboro or Port Allen, LA. Post or PM if you are interested and I could see about getting pictures.
Hawk-1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hawk-1 »

what is in the set? How old etc.? air rifle or .22? thanks
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Hawk-1 wrote:what is in the set? How old etc.? air rifle or .22? thanks
The set is for airguns and is one bank of 5 of each animal with pull string reset and they have a front deflection rail and a removable back plate for deflecting misses and so you can see your misses. You can setup four shooters at a time and rotate. They are great fun and built to be around long after we are gone if taken care of and only shot with airguns. These could handle 40 ft lbs of energy but they would probably bounce back up at that power level. I have a set of Scioneaux's swingers for both airgun and smallbore and they will be on my home range forever. While I don't shoot the airgun swingers with the .22 LR I think they would hold up no problem. You will never cup them with an airgun :lol:

We use Scioneaux resetables now at the local smallbore match as well. No more chasing animals in the sun in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity.

I have no idea how old they are I am sure Jeaux will give any details I missed.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jeaux »

Hawk-1,
The targets are one bank for each animal (5 targets per) with a front deflector plate and a rear deflector plate. Like Dee said, they are very rugged. The set I have for sale has laser cut 3/16" thick animals that are very crisp and durable. I will post some pictures after I get home this evening. The targets were built in 2009 by myself with a little help from an expert welder friend. You won't find a nicer or more durable set of air rifle re-settables. You will see in the pics.

I will post the pics in an ad on the marketplace section of the forum as this is probably where it should be.
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jeaux »

Ad is up on the marketplace with pictures if anyone is interested. I can bring to Southern Nationals for pickup.