Glass bead repair

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
crsteven
B Poster
B Poster

Glass bead repair

Post by crsteven »

Now that I pull the gun apart to clean it the glass bedding at the trigger end on this Mark X action is falling out. The question in on repairing this. Do I put glass in and just tighten the front action screw and just let it set up or put in the back action screw behind the trigger and tighten it to what poundage? How about I just hog the glass out level and glass bed in an aluminum washer? Just trying to get some thoughts.

Also, about tightening these action screws. I usually tighten the front one very tight and then just snug up the back one behind the trigger. I do that for fear of stressing the action, which I heard is a problem with these actions? Thoughts? Thanks.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Glass bead repair

Post by BCloninger »

As a temporary fix, I would scuff the surface, clean out any loose particles, and skim coat. Later, maybe much later as time and finances dictated, it would go to a professional for overhaul.

On torquing the action bolts, my practice on an unknown rifle is to run up both bolts then finger tighten in sequence, front first, snug, front first, and finally torque, front first. Both end up at 5 N-m or 44 in-lbf. Then you get to play with it until hitting the best combination. Some rifles hate that much torque, other love it, and others are indifferent.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis