What Action?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
boogershooter
Unclassified Poster

What Action?

Post by boogershooter »

I cant seem to find what I want in a factory rifle, so am considering a build on a budget?
Tikka T3 Varmint in a 6.5x55 doesnt seem to be available. Do many sihlouette shooters build on a Savage or is there a weight issue ?How about a Stiller Predator action, or one of the other less expensive customs? Do any of you folks use this action? And any opinions on the 284 cartridge? How about a relatively inexpensive stock? All opinions are appreciated! Thank You in advance!
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: What Action?

Post by Jerry G »

My new action is a Lawton 7000. All rem 700 stuff will hook to it and it looks like it is strong. Delivery was a bit slow but I'll get over that.

It seems to me that building a custom rifle is about as cheep as messing with a production rifle and getting it to shoot well. That is assuming you need a barrel and want a different stock.

The 6.5 x 55 is a good choice. Thoes 6.5 bullets have great exterior balistics.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

I have a Stiller Predator action that Evelio built up for me in 6.5x47 Lapua. Like Jerry said if you need a barrel and everything else it isn't that much more to go with a custom and be done with it.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I was deeply tempted by the Savage because it is easy to switch barrels, but I get worried about durability. In the end, I got a Tikka T3 Stainless in 6.5x55 because there is at least one other shooter out there using one and the price was good. If you want to go custom, the Stiller is a great choice, it's just more rifle than my abilities justify tight now. In particular I have a lot of work to do on recoil, which is another long, stupid story.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

If you are recoil senistive, I suggest staying away from the 284. 6.5 X 47 or 55, both good choices.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Innocent wrote:If you are recoil senistive, I suggest staying away from the 284. 6.5 X 47 or 55, both good choices.

Mary
I end up rushing the shot to get it over with. :oops: To break it, I'll need to spend a lot of time dry firing and practicing with the Tikka. Meanwhile, it's better that the Stiller is in more capable hands.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
boogershooter
Unclassified Poster

Post by boogershooter »

Thanks for the great replies,I am in touch with a very good gun smith in Pa. And am calling Stiller etc tomorrow thanks again for the help! See you in the spring .