Scope rings and lapping?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Scope rings and lapping?

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I have a new set of scope rings(tally) and was wondering if lapping them is S.O.P. they aligin up OK but not perfectly. they are the aluminum two piece type that don't adjust. I don't want to twist my scope but fear the rings will be loose if I lap them too. Whats a trigger happy guy to do? :-\
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Scope rings and lapping?

Post by Bob259 »

I know I have started to lap rings that don't seem to match up well or I'm not using Burris Signature rings. Not sure if it gives you anything other then less ring marks, but on cold winter days not much else to do ;)
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I think lapping them makes a lot of sense and it is also very easy to do. A straight rod the same diameter as your scope and some valve grinding compound is all you need. Shouldn't take verry long at all.
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

A couple months ago there was quite a discussion on lapping rings. You might try to find it somewhere in the steel chicken board. Remember Once you lap the rings they stay with the rifle unless they are lapped for a new one.
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

In my opinion, lapping the rings is a waste of time. As Yankee stated, as long as those rings are never taken off the rifle, I guess it would we OK, but once you take them off, they will never go back to the original position. By the way the Talley rings are pretty good as they come.
Evelio.
Evelio
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

They were much better than most I have tried thats for sure, even the high priced ones, but not perfect. I would rather butcher a $50 set of rings than twist a $800 scope. All to many times I have seen scopes with major ring marks from cheap rings. I was wondering if there is any draw back from doing this. Other than removing to much and makeing them loose.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member