Where's agood place to buy from?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
ColdChevy
B Poster
B Poster

Where's agood place to buy from?

Post by ColdChevy »

I am a "fairly new" shooter who needs to ammo test again. I have found an ammo that was suitable for when I was starting out, but I have now improved my abilities just enough so that I know I am losing an animal every once in a great while to a "flyer". I am looking to buy a box or two of many different ammos but do not want to commit to a whole case or even a whole brick to get a decent price. These days money is definately an issue. I have noticed that midway, champion's choice and aim surplus are okay but it is hard to find many types of ammo that aren't on backorder or available in less than a brick. Places like Cabella's and Bass Pro seem to be a complete waste of time and you just can't find .22 ammo at gun shows anymore. Anyone have a hidden gem they are willing to share? :-\

Thanks,
--CC
Byron
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Where's agood place to buy from?

Post by Byron »

ColdChevy:

I know that everyone is concerned about the price of ammo but keep in mind that it is one of the cheapest parts of this sport. If your goal is to shoot AAA or Master scores you will need good equipment, good ammo and most of all good practice habits. I think that a newer shooter should be at the range at least twice a week. Shoot practice just like a match so you are more comfortable at the matches. I also think that you should also practice with that ammo that you are going to shoot at the match. With this schedule you should be using at least a brick a month if not two. Look at what the betters shooters are using as a guide. I would suggest that you use one of the brands that falls in the 400.00 - 500.00 range per case. Find a friend or two and split the cost with them. It will cost you much less in the long run than buying a box or two at a time.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail or call at 425-301-0977

Byron
ColdChevy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ColdChevy »

I should have said more of a sophmore shooter I guess. I have been trying for two seasons now to move from A to AA. I am right on the cusp but can't seem to get that last AA score in before the season ends. I have been using Agulia Golden Eagle because I found it shoots almost as good as the wolf in my Anshutz. When I started a few seasons ago Wolf and this stuff were almost the same price, now I am getting the Golden Eagle for about $280/case and the wolf is at least $400/case everywhere I look. When I find a new ammo I like, I will definately buy it by the case. For now I am trying to get a variety of types so I can test and find my NEW favorie ammo to buy by the case. I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite website or store to suggest.

Thanks
--CC
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Bart at Zander's or Cathy Winstead Sevrin at Good Shooting, she is on this site, look in the marketplace for her.
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Quite offen you can buy a box or two from fellow shooters to try in your gun. You will have to decide how much you want to spend on tight groups.
TOP PREDATOR
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TOP PREDATOR »

champion shooters has the sk, wolf, eley, rws brands that can be bought by the box of 50.

check out aguila golden eagle match rifle, i get it out of cheaper than dirt. is only shy of the the sk / wolf performance by less than a .25" at 100 yards, and around .75" at 200 yards for 27.50 a brick. i shot alot of matches this year with the stuff, performed very good at a reasonable price - able to use it for practice AND matches.

i just got a brick of aguila target (blue box) for christmas which is a dollar more a brick and is suppossed to be the most accurate of the aguila ammos.

did a test on it through a mkii this weekend, i think the match rifle is better. (will post pictures and results soon).
"a craftsman can't realize his full potential, without finding the potential of the tools he uses...."