SB What do you use on Rams ?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I use agila interceptor ammo in 40grn. But, we shot at PC animals. The Agila will knock them down 90 percent of the time. You have to check to see if they would damage the targets of 22 rimfire animals. At the rams they might not. The advantage, same aim point and sight settings as chickens using eley club xtra.
tim
Bear
B Poster
B Poster

Re: SB What do you use on Rams ?

Post by Bear »

Hi All
Daisy I have now got some Lapua score max to try still tring to locate more.
Has anyone tried Lapua speed ace I located 1/2 a case.

Bear
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

Hope they work Bear. Fancy needing a ram load for rim.
With the expom spinning turkeys it looks like we will be shooting the easer to knock over rams, just harder to hit, at the nationals. :D

Daisy
ldholton
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ldholton »

[quote="daisy"]Out of 30 rams I stood 5 or 6 with CCI standard velocity shot out of my 39a. At least 4 of those were full bullet hits, but the buggers just laugh at me.
I was not alone as there were a lot of sad faces on score cards.

TIA
Daisy[/quote]
you talking 1/5 scale nra targets or those LARGE club tagets ?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Since this is in the cowboy forum, I'm assuming that it wasn't the 1/5 scale targets and was probably the smallbore cowboy targets.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

Jason wrote:Since this is in the cowboy forum, I'm assuming that it wasn't the 1/5 scale targets and was probably the smallbore cowboy targets.

Yes it was the cowboy rams, they don't like to go over as easy as the 1/5 ones.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

NRA rule book clearly says you can reline a barrel. So what would prevent someone from relining their 39A with 1:12 twist and shooting the 60 aguila sss?
- Joe
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

The best I have found is the agila interceptor. It's 40 grns and reliably takes down the rams 99 percent of the time. Which leads me to a question, are the targets more difficult to take down in Raton then Ben Avery in AZ? The targets in AZ are on a hydralic self setting system. As you all know, this has advantages and disadvantages.
tim
bigrobbierob
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigrobbierob »

I use Federal 510, sorted by wieght. Worked last sunday at Ben Avery and hope it does again tomorrow. Shot my best score with this ammo, 27/40 last sunday. Hope to see you out there Tim.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

timfinle wrote:The best I have found is the agila interceptor. It's 40 grns and reliably takes down the rams 99 percent of the time. Which leads me to a question, are the targets more difficult to take down in Raton then Ben Avery in AZ? The targets in AZ are on a hydralic self setting system. As you all know, this has advantages and disadvantages.
Tim -

I was told by two different match directors that the Intercepter is considered Hyper Velocity ammo and cannot be used on the smallbore thickness animals.

I have tested and used the Aguila Intercepter 22LR for Pistol Cartridge Rams and also found it to be 99% effective on those except for dead center hits. Any hits towards the front or rear, the horn, the legs, or even the private part seem to take them down (albeit some rather slowly). I've seen similar results in my 22 Magnum rifle using both the 22mag 40gr (737) and 50gr (757) Federals.

I did also test the 22LR CCI Velocitor, but found it didn't drop PC rams any better than Federal 510s, probably because it's only available as a hollow point (I could be wrong, but I suspect hollow points break up before putting all their energy onto the targets).

FWIW, up until recently (now that I'm not able to find Federal Champion 510 anywhere/anymore) the 510s have been very effective at taking down all the smallbore animals and even 95% of the C/P/Ts in the PC thickness animals, at least out of the levergun. Although it's just as hard to find as 510s, I have a few bricks of Fiocchi that I'll be using in the smallbore levergun now. On paper it seems to be just as accurate, if not maybe a little more, than the 510s.

Lastly, I recently tried some of the Aguila SSS (60gr) and found it shot pretty accurate and only had a few inches more drop at 100y/100m. Gonna try it on the PC rams at a local match in a couple months.

my .02,

- (another) Tim
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

An update on the Aguila 60gr SSS load on Pistol Cartridge thickness animals. I tried some out of a 12" Contender this past week and they seemed fairly accurate, but didn't take the Rams down any better than the Intercepters. 3 dead center hits failed to take the Ram down. Didn't get a chance to try them though the Lever Action, but I expect the results to be about the same.

my .02,

-Tim
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

The 60 grain stuff requires a special (fast) twist barrel to group. In a normal twist barrel it is more of a pattern (as in a 30 inch circle) than anything else. If somebody tells you it "shot good" in their rifle, ask them what it smelled like. If they do not know what you are talking about, they did not shoot it.

The U.S. importer is near where I live and they did some experimental work to come up with the special twist barrels which they used to sell as a package. I do not know if they still do as the demand for the ammo was almost non-existent once people figured out that it would not work in typical production rifles.