New Underlever CFX Royal

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

New Underlever CFX Royal

Post by atomicbrh »

As many of you know we are not great fans of the Sporters but there is a great sporter being produced by Gamo called the CFX Royal. I had a chance to shoot a friend's brand new one a few weeks ago. The rifle was not scoped yet. The Royal is the CFX version that has a wood stock. The fit and finish of the rifle was good for a rifle slightly over $200. What I liked about this underlever was the operation on the cocking arm. A plastic device on the cocking arm is moved down to release the cocking arm. Once the rifle is cocked, the cocking arm is returned to the closed position. Then a wing type cover is slid over to reveal the chamber and slid back to the closed position to fire. The safety does not engage automatically. This is the safest underlever I have yet experienced because the possibility of getting bear-trapped is eliminated. Also this is a much easier springer for me to operate than others I have tried. The trigger had a long "first stage" creep but the trigger was predictable. CharliedaTuna makes a aftermarket trigger kit for the CFX and hopefully I will be able to shoot the rifle again scoped and with the trigger kit installed. For the price I just do not think you can beat this for a air rifle that you can shoot in two classes. As far as durability only time will tell. I think the wood Royale stock is the way to go because the additional weight of the stock should dampen recoil. Anybody else had experience with the CFX yet?

Bobby R. Huddleston
Last edited by atomicbrh on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quonset Hut
B Poster
B Poster

Re: New Underlever CFX Royale

Post by Quonset Hut »

Where do you get the Royale in the USA? How is it different from the regular USA CFX? Up here in Michigan there is no Air competition. I once got a Norica (Marksman 45) to try Air Sil but there seems no place to do it except for the range anyway. There is a subdivision common area park past my back yard but they'd freak seeing any gun. And the bushes are too thick at the back of my property to use my house as a "backstop" at silhouette distances. What do you guys do for a practice range?

Edit: It is the CFX Royal, not Royale. Now I found it for sale various places for $260. The plastic stock model is $200.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: New Underlever CFX Royal

Post by atomicbrh »

Sorry, for the mispelling and sending you on a errant chase. My friend bought his Gamo CFX Royal from Pyramid Air. They were providing free shipping at one time. We got interested in the CFX because of an earlier post searching for suggestions for a cheap Sporter to loan out at our monthly matchs. We think the wood stock CFX is the ticket because of the cocking method and loading gate design.

At home I have a 60 meter range to the North and a 100 meter range to the Northeast with a covered concrete firing line and live on a road that ends in a very intimidating swamp. What is ironic is that even with the swamp I have less mosquitoes than in the old subdvision in the city. There is a major local sporting goods store on the nearest highway and they have a test range where large centerfire hunting calibers are tested daily. The State Law Enforcement training academy firing lines are within earshot also. So nobody complains about the noise I make. I thought I would have more opportunity to shoot instead of going to the Club Range. Wrong! Now I work all the time to pay for this place and when not working I am cutting the grass so you can see the targets.

Even with sometimes working 14 hour days I will never live in a subdivision again.

My suggestion is to buy or build some resettable NRA targets. If we had not bought the banks of five targets of each animal we would not have had enough fun to push us farther into the Air Rifle game. There is just something about having the real NRA targets. Shooting paper, tin cans and other targets just does not give the same satisfaction with the Air Rifles and Pistols.

If there is no Air Competition in Michigan, start one. Air Competition with resettables is NRA rules legal and the course is easy and quick to set up at any range.

Bobby R. Huddleston