Your Remington 700

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

You guys seem to forget that most companies are run by bean counters. They don't care what you want or what is a good rifle. All they care about is comming out with something new that lots of people will buy. The 260 will never make it because we live in a world where we think we need more power, short magnums, big heavy bullets. Why is the 338 so popular? What do you need that much gun fore here in the lower 48? Make them light and make them kick like hell and you are going to sell it.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Remington catalog

Post by kevinbear »

[quote="Bob Mc Alice"]Well..........the 2009 Remington products catalog is out online. While several new 700 models are present, our Model 700 MS is not listed. :( As a matter of fact they did not even chamber any 700's at all in .260 Rem. The only .260 I saw was a Model 7.

Why are they seemingly abandoning the .260 ???

Guess we will have to continue to build our own.

http://www.remington.com/[/quote]
I looks like big green is looking to expand it's semi-custom line of 700's
with more new models than anyone has seen in a long time, this might be a good time to barrage them with emails expressing our ideas. :lol:
rich56
B Poster
B Poster

If you gotta have a 260

Post by rich56 »

On Gunbroker and GunsAmerica, there are 700 CDL LTDs available (thats what I have) I wouldnt feel outgunned if I had a 700 SPS in 7-08 with a 24" barrel. I don't get Remington not offering the 260 in every centerfire rifle they have either. They should offer more load choices too. I think it is that good. If you do the research you'll see the gun writers did their part for the 260, I recall good articles by at least 3. The general public only knows 30-06, 243 and magnums.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Yea, but...

Post by RBriscoe »

Bob Mc Alice wrote:Well..........the 2009 Remington products catalog is out online. While several new 700 models are present, our Model 700 MS is not listed. :( As a matter of fact they did not even chamber any 700's at all in .260 Rem. The only .260 I saw was a Model 7.

Why are they seemingly abandoning the .260 ???

Guess we will have to continue to build our own.

http://www.remington.com/
Bob,

"Once upon a time" I spoke with the project manager at Remington shortly before the original 260 Rem's introduction. We talked at some length on several occasions about what was needed, specifically a 24" barrel. (They had already committed to tooling for a 9 twist barrel, unfortunately.) The detachable magazine model had a 24" barrel, but then they reverted to their original idea of a carbine length barrel (as the Model 7 is presently) and downloaded the factory ammo. Then they acted surprised when the cartridge got panned by everyone who could spell "rifle" with a little help. Oh, how could I forget that beautiful black plastic stock that had all the rigidity of an overcooked hunk of spaghetti? (Surely you recall Tony Tello taking his out into the parking lot to cool it off so that it would stabilize a little bit.)

I realize that was before the present ownership, but I doubt that their understanding has improved much. Should they produce a CDL as you described with a raised cheek piece (the present stock is just perfect for looking down iron sights...people quit hunting that way fifty something years ago though) it would be an interesting proposition, but I doubt they would keep interest in it very long. I would not bother with a .308 version as Remington would need to keep the number of SKUs down. They probably would only go with one, in which case I would probably say "7-08" as it has a greater acceptance outside of silhouette and hence would probably generate more sales. The old "varmint special" was a good starter rifle (as a standard gun), but it did not last that long either.

Your idea of a rifle built from their parts bin would be the only one that would have any chance of success. Should Remington add someone else's stock, you can double the price that you would pay to buy that stock and have someone fit it to the barreled action. Their "formula" simply is not likely to work. Nowadays I would have to suggest to someone starting out that they buy a Remington "clone" action because it will not cost much, if anything more than buying a Remington, tossing everything but the action, and having it trued by whoever fits the barrel. If someone already has a donor rifle I would be OK with that, but it still has its drawbacks. Once you are in that far, getting a barrel fitted and a stock of your choosing is all that is left. Pick a trigger that pleases you and that is where most people wind up at.

It's a shame, but the odds are against Remington actually doing what you suggest.

Cheers,

Rick
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Your Remington 700

Post by chickenchoker »

Last time I talked to the friend rep, the present has them busy building "tactical" cuz it's in demand. Ammo is also in great demand, military and civilian. They don't see any end to it through the end of this year.