Reloading Question

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
mary10
B Poster
B Poster

Reloading Question

Post by mary10 »

How many people load rifle high power rounds with a Dillon 550B. I have one and would like to load 7mm-08 with it but I am wondering if a single stage is better for rifle rounds. It works great with 38 super and other pistol rounds. I would still want to measure each charge with my charge master. If you do use a 550 could you tell me what dies work the best for you would be great. I know most will fit but if someone has experienced better loads / cartridges with a certain die that’s what I would like to know also.

Thanks,
Mary10
Jimmy
Toms
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Reloading Question

Post by Toms »

Hi Mary. I have been useing a Dillon for four years and they work grate. I load 260's with Varget powder and it works well. I use bushing dies or full length dies and have had no problems. I use Forester Br. seater or Redding. I have had very good results. I checked consentricity with Wilson hand BR. dies and ammo loaded on the Dillon. The differance was very small . I load eveerything from 223's to 270's with it and Have had great success even full length sizeing. It has cut my reloading time by more than half. I think the secret is good dies. Hope this helps.
Toms
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

mary10 wrote:How many people load rifle high power rounds with a Dillon 550B. I have one and would like to load 7mm-08 with it but I am wondering if a single stage is better for rifle rounds. It works great with 38 super and other pistol rounds. I would still want to measure each charge with my charge master. If you do use a 550 could you tell me what dies work the best for you would be great. I know most will fit but if someone has experienced better loads / cartridges with a certain die that’s what I would like to know also.

Thanks,
Mary10
Mary, I do all my loading with a Dillon 550B but do not use their powder measure instead I bought an adapter that lets me use a Redding BR 30 powder measure and I record all my charges for future use but never measure each individual charge once I check a couple of loads to verify my load. I believe that for the game we play measuring every charge is a waste of time that would not buy you a single target. As far as dies are concerned I use RCBS, Redding, Forster, Bonanza, Lee, etc. You do not need to spend a fortune in dies to make good loads if your loading technique is good and pay attention to detail when you seat primers, bullets, etc.
If you want more detailed information send me a PM. Tony Tello
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

lone ringer wrote:Mary, I do all my loading with a Dillon 550B but do not use their powder measure instead I bought an adapter that lets me use a Redding BR 30 powder measure and I record all my charges for future use but never measure each individual charge once I check a couple of loads to verify my load. I believe that for the game we play measuring every charge is a waste of time that would not buy you a single target. As far as dies are concerned I use RCBS, Redding, Forster, Bonanza, Lee, etc. You do not need to spend a fortune in dies to make good loads if your loading technique is good and pay attention to detail when you seat primers, bullets, etc.
If you want more detailed information send me a PM. Tony Tello
Tony, I use the Dillon 550B also, but only for my straightwall pistol cartridges. When I got into this everyone locally told me to use a single stage press for rifle cartridges, so I went witht he T7 Redding. On the Dillion are you depriming and cleaning your cases before loading, or just depriming and priming after cleaning in the press (again because everyone told me you must clean the primer pockets every time). I miss the speed of the progressive and having two 550B's so I could quickly set one up for the rifle. I would also not use the Dillon powder system and go to the Redding or similar set up. Currently I'm using the RCBS automatic scales and while it works great it's time consuming. Thanks Bob
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Tony, I use the Dillon 550B also, but only for my straightwall pistol cartridges. When I got into this everyone locally told me to use a single stage press for rifle cartridges, so I went witht he T7 Redding. On the Dillion are you depriming and cleaning your cases before loading, or just depriming and priming after cleaning in the press (again because everyone told me you must clean the primer pockets every time). I miss the speed of the progressive and having two 550B's so I could quickly set one up for the rifle. I would also not use the Dillon powder system and go to the Redding or similar set up. Currently I'm using the RCBS automatic scales and while it works great it's time consuming. Thanks Bob[/quote]

Bob, I have never cleaned primer pockets and in most cases I do everything in the Dillon 550B that is after cleaning and lubing my cases. What takes me the longest is changing from small primers to large primers but is really only a couple of minutes other than that I can set up to start reloading in a very short time after I load the primers and figure out what powder load I am going to use.
I can easily do 200 cartridges or more per hour and I am manually operating the powder measure since I do not use the Dillon powder measure.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Wow, I really need to relax my OCD tendences and buy some equipment evidently. I don't think I could do 200 cartridges in 8 hours using the very basic equipment that I have now and measuring every charge. Thanks for posting this question and the responses. Rather than derail this, I'll go post my own reloading equipment thread.
mary10
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mary10 »

Thank you everyone that posted. I now can focus on buying other equipment for reloading. I am glad other people use the 550 because I feel that it is a great all around reloader. Tony, don't go to another thread use this one if you can so I can continue to learn as people reply to questions. :)

Thanks,
M10
Jimmy
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I will have to agree with Tony, I do all my reloading in the 550B pistol or rifle, I never clean the primer pockets either. I do check and weight the first 3 charges, and then just go to town. I do tumble clean the cases prior to reloading.
Evelio.
Evelio