Best domestic brand?

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
gunbits
B Poster
B Poster

Best domestic brand?

Post by gunbits »

I'm not looking to start a AR vs AK thread or 9mm vs .45 flame - looking for recommendations on good, clean, consistent domestic .22 LR that isn't more than $20/brick.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Have you tried federal lighting, don't laugh :lol: has worked well for me
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg

Post by Guest »

If you can locate any of the CCI standard velocity in the paper boxes, it shoots very well. At one time it was $12.50 a brick, but now they've gone to plastic boxes and the price is above $2.00 a box, but still good stuff for the $.
powding
Uncle Irv

Cheap .22 RF

Post by Uncle Irv »

I used Federal Lightning too, but it's gettting hard to find.
The secret with cheap ammo is weight match the stuff.
I find the rounds that are about 1/10 Gr. 'over` are most
consistant.
Try it if you've got way too much time on your hands.
Irv
"I squeeze a nickel till
the Buffalo farts."
Hammer47
Unclassified Poster

22 ammo

Post by Hammer47 »

The new Federal 510 is the old Lightning and yes, I can recommend it however I also shoot pistol silhouette and definitely prefer the Federal 714 subsonic which is out of production. If you are ringing rams at subsonic levels I would inspect the target rails. Regards...g
Aim small, miss small
jimsiggy
Unclassified Poster

Reminton subsonic

Post by jimsiggy »

I zeroed my CZ452 with Remington subsonic 38 grain HP's yesterday and I was very impressed. They shot just as well as lupua target ammo. From the bench, I was punching 3 shot groups close to 1 MOA. I placed 3 spent high-power rifle cartridge cases on a 100M target stand. I missed my first 2 shots; my buddy who was spotting said i was missing just to the right, so i dialed 2 clicks left wind. After the dope change, I had 2 consecutive hits. My buddy took the last shot and hit the last case. I noticed that it shoots slightly flatter than the lapua probably a 1/4 - 1/2 MOA less elevation required @ 100M, I guess this might be due to 38 gr vs 40 gr. I must say that the Rem subs i did have a few fliers though, but so did the lapua. I think it was more do to bad shooting than loose ammo. I bought mine at wally world for $2.17 for 50, but I found it at Natchez shooters supply for $1.63

Siggy
Gun Control is as simple as BRASS: Breath Relax Aim Squeeze Shoot.

Three things essential to the founding of America: God, Guts and Guns. If we allow these to go, so shall we.

Post by Guest »

Gunbits,
IMHO domestic, clean, cheap, good, .22 lr ammo simply does not exist. My experience is if you want cheap then you must put up with some inaccuracy.
Your gun is likely different than mine but here are some cheap selections I found to be "good enough for government work":

1. Winchester Dynapoint. $10/500, out of production but can sometimes be found at your local walley's slavemart, DO NOT USE IN A MATCH, 1 to 3% fail to fire but those that do fire are consistent enough.
2. CCI standard velocity or subsonic $4.25/100, IMHO same as good as green tag at 1/2 price, 100% realiable, clean, feels extra tight when chambering a round but it may be just in my head.
3. Federal AutoMatch $11/325, alittle hot at 1200fps which may prove an accuracy problem in your gun, new on market, alittle dirty, accurate for practice, 100% realiable.
4. Cheap but good enough from south of the border.... Aguila standard velocity (also sold as PMC scoremaster and Eley Sport), Roughly $15/500 depending on source and name on package. Smells like Eley. If you didn't want domestic these would be #1.
5. Federal Lightning (also sold as Federal Champion and CCI Blazer and your local store brand), <$10/500, typically realiable, warning runs 1240 fps +/- 75 fps so your range may disallow even for practice, may not group well past 50 yds. Did I mention it is $1 a box?!
6. Federal Game shock solid points, $16/500, again warning high velocity, more $ than lightnings but they are better than any $1 box ammo.

Dishonorable mentions...

Remington subsonic $2/50, Dirty, on average same accuracy as good quality high velocity stuff with out the sonic crack, Did I mention some rounds go click instead of bang?

Remington Target $4/100, same results as Remington subsonic in a nice package.

Remington Golden Bullets, $10/500, absolute crap.

Winchester T22 $18/500, I bought two bricks; 1 shoot like match ammo, 1 was not worth "plinking" with.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

22 ammo

Post by Jerry G »

Why would you want to handicap yourself with US made ammo. I haven't found any that shoots well. Try the Mexican Eley in the yellow box. It is not expensive and shoots well.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Federal Automatch is good stuff. My reservation is that, unless your rifle likes it well enough to compete with, the ballistics are different enough that you may not want to practice with it.

At a rated 1200 fps, it is noticeably louder than sub-sonics, but still (I think) legal for competition. Other shooter will notice, though.
KY Ratshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KY Ratshooter »

I seriously feel that everyone I compete against should be shooting something from a box that has a Remington or Federal label.

My gun prefers SK pistol match. Sub-MOA with no flyers.

"Good enough, shoots great, very accurate" are modifiers that discribe being able to hit a tin can, most of the time, at 15 yards!

Cheap ammo is cheap for a reason.
Shoot low boys, they're riding ponies!

Post by Guest »

Oh thanks Ratshooter! Blow my cover!
KY Ratshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KY Ratshooter »

:D

The other thing about discribing ammo that really tweaks me is the term "Good enough to hunt with"!

"Only one out of five shots is a two inch flyer at 25 yards so it's good enough to hunt with but I wouldn't shoot it in competition."

The squirrrels and rabbits deserve as much respect as chickens.
Shoot low boys, they're riding ponies!