New target stands at HRPC in S.Florida

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

New target stands at HRPC in S.Florida

Post by Ralph »

We just finished building some new target stands for smallbore rifle at the Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club in South Florida.

In case anyone is curious, here are some pictures

They are hinged and can be folded down flat. We share the range with smallbore prone rifle shooters so we need to lay them down and let the prone shooters shoot over them.

Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

Here are the turkeys

Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

Rams are just set on rails at 100yds against the berm.

Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

Because we share the range with the prone rifle shooters, we shoot 20 animals before calling the line cold and going downrange to reset targets. This allows the prone guys enough time to get in their practice at the end of the shooting line.

One silhouette shooter can stand in a position and shoot all 40 animals without moving. Since we have two banks of targets, we can have 4 shooters at the line per relay. Here's how it looks -

Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

Another view. Both shooters are shooting the left banks of animals. One starts with chickens and one starts with turkeys, or whatever they agree to.

Last edited by Ralph on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

If you're wondering why the animals are yellow instead of white, you'll have to ask Kevin...That's him on the left
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

That's not Green Bay Packer Gold is it?? Targets would look better Razorback Red.. :lol:

Nice setup

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

One cool thing - because the metal backstop is close to the animals, we can see the bullet marks from our misses on the metal. Just need to remember to spray paint the inside of the bullet trap to cover the previous marks.
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

thats pretty awsome....
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
tbone49
A Poster
A Poster

Post by tbone49 »

Ralph came up with the design and did all the work. I know because I watched.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Looks great... unfortunately at our club, like most with multi purpose ranges, we have some idiots that would figure out how to shoot them up with a HP rifle and destroy all that hard work.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Target stands

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

Pretty good idea about them folding down, but like Bob said, some idiot will find a way to shoot at them, and destroy them. We are lucky that in our local range, NO HIGH POWER rifles are allowed, so our stands are permanent, but even then we occasionaly find a nice bullet hole in the back stops.
Somebody needs to tell Kevin and the guy next to him, that the right leg most be lock up solid not bend at the knee !!!!!
Evelio.
Evelio
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Bob, a lot of ranges have that problem even on a range that is clearly marked "Small Bore Only". I can't believe how many stupid people there are in the world.
Ralph
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ralph »

Our rifle range is .22 only. It's pretty rare that someone tries to bring a HP rifle to the range. Our problem is pistol shooters stepping over to the rifle side and taking a few shots. We don't leave the targets out for that reason.

Another issue is that we used 11 gauge steel (1/8 inch) to keep cost and weight down. This is fine for standard velocity .22LR but high velocity ammo will dent the steel, even at 45 degrees. So far, we caught one guy using it. I've put up signs since then but not everyone reads the signs.

The 11 gauge steel makes the chicken and turkey metal weigh about 80 lbs (they are 8 feet long by 21 inches wide plus side plates) and the pig metal weigh about 100 lbs (9.5 ft x 21 inches plus side plates). At that weight, one person can still raise and lower the lids.
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

Looks great.
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.