newcomer--scope question

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
dmccorki
B Poster
B Poster

newcomer--scope question

Post by dmccorki »

Just getting interested in silhouette shooting. Started trying to get the hang of offhand shooting using my Winchester M52 sporter with a Leupold 3-9X33 scope, which has been fun but suggests lots more practice is needed! Have an opportunity to acquire an Anschutz 1712 locally at attractive price. Based upon reading this site, I am considering equipping the 1712 with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X40 EFR--good choice?

Leupold is recommending use of their 11mm ring mount #54231 which is medium height, but I have seen a number of comments suggesting one should get the highest rings available. The rings on the M52 are high Talley rings because high rings are needed on the 52 for the bolt handle to clear. Normally I would attempt to get the scope as close to the bore as possible.

All advice appreciated.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

dmcc....
Med height rings for the average person will work. If you have a long LOP or long neck you may want the higher rings. The Luepy 6.5X20EFR is a great close focus as well as distance shotting. The crosshair/dot choice is one of what you want.
Welcome to the site and Good luck.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

You can't do better than the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 EFR. It's a great lifetime investment that, if you did decided to sell it, holds value. They're always in demand.

My opinion is, use the rings that fit you best, that encourage you to use a comfortable, repeatable shooting position. A lot of this game is in your head, so use gear you trust and like - that matters more than the cost.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Welcome aboard dmccorki.

As mentioned by Innocent and BlauBear the Leupold is a great choice and it's the only one I and many others use, great repeatability and glass.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Travelor »

Get the 1712 and Leupold EFR scope. I like them so well I have 4.

Great guns that you will never feel out gun'ed with. Be sure to get the EFR with the dot reticle.

George
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
dmccorki
B Poster
B Poster

newcomer

Post by dmccorki »

Thanks all. Seller of 1712 is reconsidering his decision to sell so I may have to renew my search, but at least I know the right direction for the scope if and when I find the rifle.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

As Innocent will tell you, ain't nothing wrong with a Winchester Model 52. You can put that Leupold on it just as well as you can Anschutz. Now, if it is pre '64 M52...well....you're a lucky guy.
dmccorki
B Poster
B Poster

newcomer

Post by dmccorki »

Durant7
Thanks. Never thought to weigh the M52 with the serious scope. Just assumed it was too heavy.
The 52 I am shooting is not an original--back when I was younger and not as wise I owned an original but sold it because .... whatever the reason at the time, it was dumb!