What Action?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

What Action?

Post by Bob259 »

I understand that you can no longer get new Remington actions alone from Brownells or Remington anymore. So knowing that, if you were to build a HP silhouette rifle what action would you use? Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated. I'm planning on having one rifle built for both classes.
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

Since you are building a rifle, your best bet is to go to a gun show and purchase a used Remington M-700 short action rifle or, if you can find one, a Winchester M-70 short action rifle (post '64).

Winchester Pros and Cons:

Pros:
A trued-up Winchester M-70 post '64 short action has a magazine length of 3.00 inches, vs. 2.80 for the Rem. This gives you a little more room for setting optimum cartdrige OAL. Since the Winchester does not require a separate recoil lug, it is easier to set-up as a "switch-barrel" action.

The post '64 action is a BETTER design than the older pre'64 model. It is as strong or stronger than the Remington and will readily hold 5 rounds in the magazine. This is why the majority of bullseye cross-court shooters use Winchester M-70

Jewell makes an after market light pull trigger if you decide to use it for Std. Class, and the factory trigger is second to none if you want to stay in Hunter Class. Wolff and Tubb also make readily available extra power springs to decrease lock time. The M-70 lock time is slightly faster than the Remington.

McMillan and Pharr stocks are readily available.

Cons:
The rear of the slot on the M-70's trigger guard must be milled about .050 to accomodate a Jewell trigger and the length of pull will be shorter.

Winchester replacement and aftermarket parts are not as readily available as are Remington.

Remington Pros and Cons:

Pros:
Readily available aftermarket triggers, springs, stocks, etc., etc.

Cons:
To make a switch-barrel rifle, the recoil lug must be pinned to the action.
Short magazine length (2.800 inches)

If you know of anyone willing to sell his or her short-action M-70 at a reasonable price, please let me know.

Best of luck,
Joaquin B
Heavybarrel
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Heavybarrel »

Bob,
Buy a 700 sps s/a and part out the barrel,stock and trigger.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

I walked into a Walmart by the house the other day and they had a SA Rem 700 Synthetic stocked .243 on sale for $300.00. I was thinking about buying one and I called a buddy of mine and was telling him about it, he had already bought one from a K-Mart by his house some time ago, and was looking to sell the barreled action. I picked it up today for 275.00, so there are some deals out there! He told me that he had a LA that he would be willing to sell also, if you are interested PM me and I'll get you in touch with him.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Thanks Jim. If I do end up doing this I'd really like to try and find a new action if possible and I think if I go with the 6.5x47, which I'm currently leaning towards, a short action would be what I'd want.

New at this HP game and I just taking my time to make sure that what ever I have built is what I'll be happy with for a long time. That and the fact that the closest range is 4 hours away from me :cry: Things will get better and closer when I finally move to AZ though :D
carl425
A Poster
A Poster

Post by carl425 »

Get one of the custom 40X copies. They are available from Stiller, Lawton Machine, and some other sources that I can't recall at the moment. By the time you pay for a 700 action and labor to "blueprint" it, you'll be almost up to the cost of one of the customs anyway. The difference in cost will be a rounding error when you add up everything (parts, gunsmith, reloading dies, brass...) associated with getting started with a new rifle. Besides, a single shot action is better than a 700 action with the single shot adapter glued in anyway. The customer will also include a Sako style extractor.

Talk to your gunsmith. If you haven't selected one yet, Mark Pharr built my 6.5x47 (on a Lawton action). I recommend him highly.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Custom build=custom action or fully trued Rem 700 action

Swapping barrels and stock=Walmart $300 243 Synthetic SA or 270 Synthetic LA

I'm thinking of picking up a Walmart 243 to build a standard gun from Replacing barrel and trigger of course, and dropping my 308 LTR from my McMillan MS into a bedded BDL stock for my hunter gun.

But then again I'm always thinking when I should just be shooting........
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E