7mmBR brass from 6mmBR Lapua???

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bill the Lurker
A Poster
A Poster

7mmBR brass from 6mmBR Lapua???

Post by Bill the Lurker »

I am awaiting arrival of 7mmBR from PacNor. This is my first 7mmBR.

I have some (lots) Lapua 6mmBR brass. Can I use this and just run a tapered expander through to get to 7mm?
Will I need to do anything else?
Should I just find some Rem brand 7mmBR brass?

I have looked at cartridge drawings, and it looks to me like that would work, but I wanted to ask before I ruined otherwise perfectly good brass.

Thanks for the help,
Bill the Lurker
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Bill, if your rifle was chambered with a regular 7mm BR reamer you will have to shorten and turn the necks on your Lapua brass other wise you will find out your loads will not fit in the chamber. Once you do that you will be able to load about two or three grains of powder more on the Lapua brass than you can with the Rem brass. I know at least one person that had a 7mm BR reamer made to be able to use Lapua brass without having to trim and turn their necks.

I recommend the use of the Lapua brass on your long range loads and Remington for your short range loads but if you only have Lapua brass it makes no sense to buy Remington brass since most places sell it for about the same price as Lapua and in my opinion Lapua brass is far superior than Remington.
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

7BR

Post by fwt1712 »

In my wife's rifle (Tobler barelled here in Aus) we have to neck turn and trim to length.

You will probably see a pretty mean donut turn up when you full length resize (I initially neck up using a sincalir expander mandrel) and which will probably be too fat for your chamber. Outside neck turning though will get rid of this pretty much.

Otherwise excellent brass and enjoy!

regards,
Nigel.