Springer in .177 or .22 for Silhouette?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Sw1ffer
Unclassified Poster

Springer in .177 or .22 for Silhouette?

Post by Sw1ffer »

I want to shoot a Weihrauch HW97K springer for silhouette for a change from PCP. I have chosen the 97K due to limited springer options where I live and Air Arms TX200 is not available. It seems reading this forum that most people are shooting .177 over .22. The ballistics seem to support (happy to be contradicted on this) using a .177 heavy pellet such as JSB 10.3g rather than .22. The increased velocity looks to negate wind drift better than the heavier but slower .22 calibre and it is obviously flatter shooting. I am interested in any insights provided to assist me decide which calibre to chose. I am shooting outdoor matches 100% of the time so wind is a consideration. TIA.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Springer in .177 or .22 for Silhouette?

Post by acorneau »

I shoot the 10.34 pellets in both my springer (TX200) and my Open rifle (HFT-500). They both shoot the heavy pellets at about 765 to 770 fps and I find the wind drift to be fairly comparable to my smallbore gun.

Ballistics aside, everyone else is shooting .177 so if you want to compete on a level playing field then get the .177. They're cheaper than the .22 pellets as well.
Allen Corneau
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

I ordered a RAW from Martin Rutterford. I didn’t and still don’t have a lot of modern air rifle knowledge so I offer what he suggested. I was trying to make the same caliber choice and asked his opinion. Without hesitation and based on 40 years of building air rifle experience he said .177. I asked why, he said better pellets, better wind performance at our required distance and more often better barrels. I would guess that his reasoning / experience spills over regardless of brand.

My own experience is now ONE match, it was very windy. The .177 Benjamin 10.5gr pellets , 825fps, left me dumbfounded with their ability to perform so well in the wind. We had one .22 cal shooter and I can’t say how his wind performance was but I can say the hit targets landed FAR from the rails and made me think restricting next years season to .177 is likely going to save on lost targets and certainly shorten target search time.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

For silhouette .177 is the choice I'd make.
For the targets I've made more than 20fpe will cause damage long term.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

Well i'm the outcast here, i prefer 20cal, with 22 cal as a second choice. HW is a well regarded small bore and air rifle maker and ive owned many over the years, have a half dozen of them currently, that being said their 177 barrels are spotty. Ive had far more poor performers than great in the smallest bore, but 20 and 22 cal have all been great shooters.
As for pellets, a few guns will shoot many brands and weights well, but most can be fussy. I have about a dozen air rifles of varying makes, only one of them will shoot a variety of pellets well, the others are one pellet brand and weight guns... just something to consider.