Rules Question Concerning Sights

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Rules Question Concerning Sights

Post by cedestech »

JohnHenry wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:51 am
When all is said and done, even with a rear sight lens, the shooter still has to be able to hold the rifle steady and follow thru on the shot. Further, magnification shows more movement. So it is not a cure all for accurate shooting.

But if you can't see the target clearly, your chances of hitting it are diminished.

Jim Luke

THAT^^^^^^
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Good call Jim.

You can correct your vision with surgery, contact lenses and glasses. Don’t see a lot of of harm in correcting vision at the rear sight. I and many…………others need cheaters just to see to make sight changes. I use cheap none prescription readers aka 1.5 - 2.5 magnifying lenses, WHY? Because it corrects my vision so I can see, just like a prescription. We will keep more shooters involved if they can aim at what it is we hope to hit.

We do need to be vigilant of the attempt to make or affix something that functions as a scope to the rear sight. I’m no optometrist or optics expert but I believe it takes more than one lens to make what we all recognize as a none electronic optic / scope. Maybe the key is to allow only the rear sight to have a lens (as currently) and only ONE lens, prescription or magnifying, as is the current intention. We aren’t discovering the wheel. Theses same changes have appeared in many other open sight type shooting disciplines. Likely for the same reasons. As we and the sport continue to age (if all goes well) scopes will start entering the discussion, just like other disciplines and for the same reasons. To be mature and forward thinking the time will come that we need to consider what we want that to look like. Example 22BPCR.

For now we need some creative person to creat a simple device for affixing a lens to common rear sight apertures from MVA and Williams. Screwing a 3P type rear aperture on is functional but ugly. Like tying a Corvette to the hitching post in front of a Saloon. I tried a lens and electrical tape which prompted my opinion of needing someone more creative.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I support their use if it helps our visually challenged athletes enjoy the game.

Additionally, I thought I’d add a couple points.

1. Reading glasses and shooting glass diopters do not magnify the target image. They adjust your eye’s focal length which is necessary for far sightedness.

2. What I’ve noted about either of the Gehmann rear diopters is their ability to present a focused target AND front sight on the same focal plane. It’s a very clean image as compared to a simple peep and shooting glasses. I’d say it’s the same as using a red dot sight where the dot is projected upon the target and both dot and target are focused. In my opinion this offers a psychological advantage over the use of corrective glasses. It’s also easier to execute the shot because you no longer need to “focus on the front sight.” You simply see and shoot.

Enjoy the game guys and gals.
- Joe
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

If you allow lenses in both front and rear sights, you end up with this.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/conten ... n-sniping/
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

But, Emmett, the rules do not allow magnification in the front sight. Period.

Jim Luke
Bret888
Unclassified Poster

Post by Bret888 »

I agree with Jim's decision. It's not supposed to be an eyesight competition.

Bret