Rossi R92 tang screw spacing

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Rossi R92 tang screw spacing

Post by Trent »

I ordered an MVA vernier tang sight for my Rossi R92 and specified the "1892 Rossi" base but the hole spacing doesn't match. Their spec shows the spacing as 2.191" center-to-center but mine measures out at 2.240". My rifle is the 24" octagon barrel with factory drilled and tapped tang. Their hole spacing chart doesn't show anything with a 2.240" CTC. Is this identified as normal with Rossi? I did a search on here but didn't find anything. Thank you!!
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Rossi R92 tang screw spacing

Post by Trent »

Just posting the results as an FYI to anyone that may encounter this in the future. My R92 is drilled and tapped from the factory and is only a few years old, but the center to center hole spacing is 0.050" wider than the 2.191" that it is supposed to be. I talked with Montana Vintage Sights and Jim says that he hasn't encountered a change or a mis-drill like this. We determined that this being a one-off situation that enlongating the mounting holes would be the best solution. I have a mill and will do the work myself. Weird situation with a relatively easy solution. Cheers!
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Rossi R92 tang screw spacing

Post by chickenhater »

Lee Shaver made the sight and base for my R92. The forward hole was elongated on the base. My guess is there is some inconsistencies with the Brazilian machining and Shaver knew this, my rifle measures 2.220". Thankfully there are no machining issues where it counts, they are very accurate.