Source for Extra-Tall Scope Rings?

This is what we do.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Source for Extra-Tall Scope Rings?

Post by Jetmugg »

I'm having a SB rifle re-stocked by one of the well-known gunsmiths who do that kind of work. I should receive the rifle back soon, and expect that I'll be looking for a new set of scope rings to fit a 1" diameter scope.

I've used BKL mounts on various rifles over the past 15-ish years, and have been happy with them. BKL does not offer any rings taller than 1" from top of receiver to bottom of scope tube.

Where are you folks sourcing rings up to the legal height of 1.5"? I may not need (or want) to go that high, but I'd like to be prepared.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Steve.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Source for Extra-Tall Scope Rings?

Post by shooterer »

I have used these spacers along with my BKL rings on a couple of smallbore rifles with no movement during the season.

https://www.bkltech.com/BKL-1-Long-Dove ... kl-167.htm

I don't remember if I have the 1" or 5/8" long ones.
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Thanks - I actually have a set of those riser blocks as well. My hope is to use them to figure out the best overall height for the new stock, and then would like to purchase a set of rings to work at that height.

Like you, I don't think there's anything wrong with the BKL riser blocks, but would prefer not to have any extra pieces in the whole assembly. A pair of one-piece rings is my goal.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

I wrote a whole article on the subject for the NASSA technical blogs...

https://nassasilhouette.org/dovetail-scope-rings/

:-bd
Allen Corneau
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Hi Steve,

I have an extra set of Morr accuracy 1.45" tall silhouette rings, that is from top of the dovetail to the bottom of the scope. They also weigh 1.6 oz for the pair, pm if you are interested in them. They fit the 11mm rail

-Zoran
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

acorneau wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:57 pm I wrote a whole article on the subject for the NASSA technical blogs...

https://nassasilhouette.org/dovetail-scope-rings/

:-bd
That is excellent work!!!

Thank you,

Steve.
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

thauglor wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:15 pm Hi Steve,

I have an extra set of Morr accuracy 1.45" tall silhouette rings, that is from top of the dovetail to the bottom of the scope. They also weigh 1.6 oz for the pair, pm if you are interested in them. They fit the 11mm rail

-Zoran
Zoran:

That is very good to know. I should have the rifle back in my hands very soon, and I hope to work out the preferred scope height ASAP (as soon as next weekend - June 10-11).
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

thauglor wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:15 pm Hi Steve,

-Zoran
Zoran:

That is very good to know. I should have the rifle back in my hands very soon, and I hope to work out the preferred scope height ASAP (as soon as next weekend - June 10-11).
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Peter Deals rings are amazing… just saying.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

What Emmett said, for a 1712 especially, Pete's are amazing. He's also a SB silhouette shooter.
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

Can Morr or D3 rings be used in a High Power rifle?
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

CoolArrowMarksman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:33 am Can Morr or D3 rings be used in a High Power rifle?
You will probably need a dovetail type adapter. I bought the harrels and the harrels rings for my remington 700.

Morr: https://www.morraccuracy.com/store/c1/F ... p559129718

Harrels: https://www.harrellsprecision.com/produ ... s-aluminum
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Pete is working on dovetail bases for the R700 and similar so you can use his dovetail rings. He says he's been using a set on his own HP rifle and they've been working just fine.

He sent me a prototype set to try out but the screw sizes were a little off. My receiver has been changed to #8 screws where the factory size are #6. Once I can get the screw holes opened up I'll get them on my HP gun.
Allen Corneau