Thinking about a C Sharps...

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Thinking about a C Sharps...

Post by H.Plummer »

If a guy were thinking about ordering up a C Sharps 1885 low wall for 22BPCR (and messing around with Schuetzen), what barrel weight and length would you recommend for a tapered octagon?
24", 26", 28", 30"
#1, #2, #3
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Thinking about a C Sharps...

Post by BrentD »

H.Plummer wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:46 pm If a guy were thinking about ordering up a C Sharps 1885 low wall for 22BPCR (and messing around with Schuetzen), what barrel weight and length would you recommend for a tapered octagon?
24", 26", 28", 30"
#1, #2, #3
It depends on what feels best to you. It is a very personal decision. I would opt for a 28" #2, unless it was to be a hunting rifle, that would take a #1.

remember, you will win or lose on chickens, so buy what will hold best for you when offhand. What barrel maker are you (C-Sharps) using?
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

I have no experience whatsoever holding one of these rifles so I'm relying on the experience of others.
Not exactly sure on the barrels. Badger or Green Mountain?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I recently lucked into a lightly used C.Sharps high wall in 40-65 with a number 2 barrel at 28”. It holds like a lever gun and is exactly what I would have ordered. I’d be very tempted to go a low wall small bore the same.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it's narrowed down to a 28" #2.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

My C.Sharps next to my 26” ‘94. It’s a 30”, not 28 “ barrel…
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SSShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by SSShooter »

BrentD wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:19 pm
H.Plummer wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:46 pm If a guy were thinking about ordering up a C Sharps 1885 low wall for 22BPCR (and messing around with Schuetzen), what barrel weight and length would you recommend for a tapered octagon?
24", 26", 28", 30"
#1, #2, #3
It depends on what feels best to you. It is a very personal decision. I would opt for a 28" #2, unless it was to be a hunting rifle, that would take a #1.

remember, you will win or lose on chickens, so buy what will hold best for you when offhand. What barrel maker are you (C-Sharps) using?
I use a 26" with something like a #2 1/2 contour. As Brent states, is totally a personal thing. Buy a bit long as you can always cut off and re-crown. Tough to add length.
Again, as Brent said, its the chicken count that makes the winner. Not unusual to have people clean the "stick" or "lay down" animals in 22BPCR. Its those pesky chickens. As of yet, no one has cleaned the chickens in a match. Lots of 9s, but no 10s yet.