22 LR snap caps

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

22 LR snap caps

Post by H.Plummer »

What's the best snap cap for dry fire practice in a Henry Frontier?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 22 LR snap caps

Post by edgehit »

Nylon drywall screw insert. Put a cartridge in your pocket and take it to the hardware store to find the right fit.
- Joe
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Put a good piece of rubber in the opening created when cocking the hammer. Hammer falls into it and you never deal with the firing pin moving and you don't have to rotate a snap cap or deal with the screw anchors deteriorating.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

I took a page out of the Doodaddy playbook and fabricated a 1/8" thick rubber washer that sits between the hammer and firing pin. Seems to work beautifully.
Thanks for the replies and PMs.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

The plastic anchors I use for dry firing are HILLMAN 4-6 X 7/8". They are recommended by other people as well. I have tried cycled them through rifle magazines with success.
A lot easier to use than once fired .22 shells that are harder to insert on rifle chambers and have to be rotated every couple of firing pin strikes.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

lone ringer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:20 pm The plastic anchors I use for dry firing are HILLMAN 4-6 X 7/8". They are recommended by other people as well. I have tried cycled them through rifle magazines with success.
A lot easier to use than once fired .22 shells that are harder to insert on rifle chambers and have to be rotated every couple of firing pin strikes.
Just watch out for which hillman you get. I bought a box of them only to find them without almost any rim and definitely not enough rim for a firing pin. I had to get the home depot brand to get the correct rim thickness that will cushion a pin strike. Some people still claim they work but not sure how recently they bought them, my experience was from last year from an Ace hardware
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

thauglor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:21 pm
lone ringer wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:20 pm The plastic anchors I use for dry firing are HILLMAN 4-6 X 7/8". They are recommended by other people as well. I have tried cycled them through rifle magazines with success.
Just watch out for which hillman you get. I bought a box of them only to find them without almost any rim and definitely not enough rim for a firing pin. I had to get the home depot brand to get the correct rim thickness that will cushion a pin strike. Some people still claim they work but not sure how recently they bought them, my experience was from last year from an Ace hardware
Thank you for the advice Thauglor, got mine from Amazon last year and now I have a life time supply. They are yellow, their rim is quite thick, they take more than a few hits without getting deformed and extract great from all of my rifles.