Browning BPCR 45-70 - A few questions

Front-stuffers, smoke-belchers and .22 BPCR!
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Browning BPCR 45-70 - A few questions

Post by DonM »

Just don't use the bullet to compress the powder and wad.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

People play with compression, card thickness, primer, powder size, and seating depth.

BP has to be compressed. You can compress a little or a lot…

The bullets really soft and you don’t want to deform or shave it.

You’ll need to get a compression die (so the weighed powder is compressed the same every time)

And an expansion die to expand the case in the bullet area the size of the bullet at least on the first firing.

If your bullet is .451” you’ll need a .451 expander. The bullet should be seated till it bottoms out on the powder and like a rimfire it’ll engage the rifling. Again, that is tunable also….

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Another thing to keep in mind , is that chances are pretty good that once you have the cases fireformed, they will seldom need resized, so the expanding die can be delegated to a compression die.
Crimping won't be necessary, so just thumb seating the bullet works fine.
Be sure to check the case mouths don't get peened in a bit when cleaning, if they do a quick twist of a chamfering tool will take care of that.
16-1 alloy will likely be your friend if you get into looking for serious accuracy at distance.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Thanks all. Great info. One thing that had me a little intimidated was in the Texas Mac book he says to anneal case necks after each firing. And to turn all the case necks.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I don't think I have ever annealed a 45-70 case. But I don't use Starline either, but it might not be a bad idea with those when new, and then every once in a while afterwards.