Hunter length of pull increase

This is what we do.
crsteven
B Poster
B Poster

Hunter length of pull increase

Post by crsteven »

Need 2 inches added for length of pull for a hunter rifle. Weight is an issue. What would be the lighest way to do it? Epoxy on a block of balsa wood? Ideas? Model 54 14XX.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Hunter length of pull increase

Post by shooterer »

A 3D printed hollow spacer.
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Two inches is a lot of additional length to get to your final LOP. My Anschutz 2002 has about 1.25" to get it to 14.5" and that was done with multiple "grind it yourself" hard foam spacers.

Are you replacing a pre-existing buttplate with all spacers?

My guess is your best bet would be either a 3D printed version with an internal latticework (as mentioned above) or some other kind of light foam with a hard outer shell. You could try your idea of a balsa wood spacer with an additional outer shell if you're a DIY'er and can get a hold of some balsa.

There's a good chance anything made of metal (aluminum or otherwise) would end up too heavy if you're that close to going over. Any chance you can find some weight savings elsewhere on the rifle?

Either way, I think you're in for a complicated solution. Best of luck.
Allen Corneau
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

4oz glass over balsa would likely be lighter than 3d printing.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I used flip-flops fashioned into a butt pad to increase mine and lower weight of the original butt pad.
ppkny
crsteven
B Poster
B Poster

Post by crsteven »

Going to tear the gun apart soon to get weights on all the components and go from there. Was thinking to just replace the end with all spacers, but not sure that will make weight. Other option is a Wooster stock. What would a flat top weigh at 14 inches LOP on a 54 action?
crsteven
B Poster
B Poster

Post by crsteven »

Wooster stock will get it to weight, so that is one option. Tried flip flops and 2 stacked , giving me an inch holds incredibly well. That seems to be the short term solution. The question now is how to attach them. Just have them masking taped on now.