IHMSA Championship recap

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
Hawkeye7br
B Poster
B Poster

IHMSA Championship recap

Post by Hawkeye7br »

I am very pleased to report the IHMSA Nationals was hosted by Riley Conservation Club in west central Indiana just outside Terre Haute. It is the first time we have attempted to hold a match of this size or importance, it has been 15+ years since we hosted a Regional competition.

We had 266 entries from 9 states, making this the largest and most diverse handgun silhouette match in the USA. 85% of the entries were from out of state, unlike some clubs that make "World Championship" claims for their 80% club match. We did some things different in order to make this event happen, a primary purpose of ours was to show that it doesn't take a huge facility to host a large event. Our target setters were awesome, they kept us running on 15 minute relays for our 60 round format and usually ahead of schedule. We averaged 50 entries per day for the five and 1/3 day match, and ran the last relay at noon Wednesday followed by shootoffs that same afternoon.

We haven't had this match east of the Mississippi since 2010, and the shooters seemed to appreciate it. A ton of door prizes, IHMSA Board of Directors meeting, competitor banquet, business meeting, etc, all took place in a timely manner.

The board at RCC has been advancing our club for 14 years, we also host the Area 5 Steel Challenge Championship (2nd in size only behind the World Speed Shooting at CMP park in Alabama) as well as several club level events. I'm sure this event will be in discussion for a repeat performance in 2023. If any readers here are interested in additional details or info, post your questions or pm me.

Rich
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: IHMSA Championship recap

Post by atomicbrh »

I am glad to see IHMSA is alive and well.