New barrel on an Anschutz?

This is what we do.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: New barrel on an Anschutz?

Post by Merlin »

Thread Resurrection. This thread is older than some of the shooters that read this Forum but still it is what I needed... Early 70s 1400 series action and a modern 1712 barrel.

As I read the thread a hammer and a flat head screwdriver and an extra hour to change out the factory barrel...?

Are the dimensions still the same on the barrel tenon with the same diameter, length to the shoulder, pin positions and angle of the extractor cuts?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Merlin,

If you are putting on a sporter barrel on a match action, you will have to also cut new extractor slots. The extractor slots are at different angles on the sporter vs match barrels. The tenon is also different length usually because the sporter barrels have a remginton style recoil lug, but that is just aesthetics if you don't mind it being shown.

To get the old barrel out, a brass rod through the receiver and a hand sledge hammer make it go easier once the pins are out.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

thauglor wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:46 am Merlin,

If you are putting on a sporter barrel on a match action, you will have to also cut new extractor slots. The extractor slots are at different angles on the sporter vs match barrels. The tenon is also different length usually because the sporter barrels have a remginton style recoil lug, but that is just aesthetics if you don't mind it being shown.

To get the old barrel out, a brass rod through the receiver and a hand sledge hammer make it go easier once the pins are out.
I currently have an 1808 action and a 1712 barrel. Those extractor cuts are very different. I'm considering a coned breach. Anyone given that a try?

I don't currently have the 1808 barrel out and I may simply elect to taper it in the lathe then do a cold blue.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

My Franklin hunter had a cone breeched Lija barrel on it. Worked fine. I think the only 2 advantages are very easy and can index. Barrels on it and 1712 are both normal extractor cuts.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I've done a few. Not enough to tell you authoritatively how it will go. One of them I did came out pretty easy pretty much did it just like Thauglor said. The most recent one I did I had to put it in a hydraulic press like Evelio said in his earlier post.

As others have said- take note of the extractor cuts because they vary with different actions some are narrow and 180 degrees apart and some are wider and maybe 130 or so degrees apart.

I spoke on the phone once with Karl Kenyon about rebarreling anschutz actions. He's been dead for 10+ years now but was a very well known smallbore gunsmith that worked on guns for some of the best shooters. He was very nice on the phone and I wasn't a customer, just a guy calling to ask stupid questions. He said for cutting extractor cuts he just used a hack saw blade. To make it wider he cut it with a few blades put together. it is just a clearance cut so I don't see why this wouldn't work if you go slow. If cutting new extractor cuts in an old barrel I'd fill the old ones with devcon to keep them from filling with crud.

As far as installing new barrels I have pressed a few and I have threaded the actions on a few. I threaded the action to 7/8"-20 threads. This works well. It's very scary threading the action though.

One rifle I did I put a 54-18 barrel on an old action I had. I did this because I needed a nice light free rifle for my Son who was about 11 or 12 at the time and couldn't handle the weight of even a 1907 action. This was sort of a quick job I welded up some stops on a piece of heavy channel for end stops and pressed it together with a port-a-power hydraulic cylinder. It shot better than he could at the time. I eventually sold the gun. Just this past winter a girl who's now shooting in college and using this rifle needed me to do some more work on the bloop tube. She said it shoots great and she wouldn't trade it for anything. She was the high shooter in the Southern conference this year with it. So you never know!
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

cedestech wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:32 pm My Franklin hunter had a cone breeched Lija barrel on it. Worked fine. I think the only 2 advantages are very easy and can index. Barrels on it and 1712 are both normal extractor cuts.
Not that this action is a repeater, but did yours feed from a mag with the coned breach?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

It is a 54.18MS single shot. I don’t think a cone breech would work with a repeater, or at least it’d be sensitive to feeding issues.

Honestly the only one I have ever seen was on that rifle with the barrel that came with it when I bought it.

On of the other problems with a coned breech is it leaves gaps at the front of the feed ramp the build up with crud.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

I use an 1807 that I had the original barrel just tapered down, it is just short of 26" from the factory, and at the lapua test center we found a lot of centerX that shot 27.5mm edge to edge after tapering it. I kind of like the two tone look so I never reblued it