Lever Action Help

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Lever Action Help

Post by ChuckD »

I am shooting a Winchester 1894- 66 Centennial- rifle. it was NIB, I have less than 100 rounds on it.
I have had the problem at 2 matches now. rack and shoot a couple rounds, OK. Then it will lift a round to the chamber and a round slides out of the mag tube, under the lift and a total jam. Have to take the end of the mag tube, remove the spring and button and shake around until the round slides down the tube. Both matches the Match Director was cool enough to let me shoot single load- Thanks John!
Any idea where to start looking for the solution. May be after setting for 56 years, she's just pissed?

Thanks
chuck
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Lever Action Help

Post by SqHunter »

I think your cartridge cut off is worn or loose. I have had that problem on several Marlins.

It might seem obvious, but before I went to another match I would take it apart and then make sure each screw was tight. Inside and out.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Here’s my disclaimer- seek a qualified gunsmith if you’re not comfortable examining the rifles operation. Otherwise read on!

You have a timing issue between the lever’s link and the carrier. There can be 2 causes. You need to make 2 dummy rounds with bullet and NO PRIMER & POWDER to test the timing. Load both in the magazine and operate the action while watching the carrier’s operation as you load the first round.

If the 2nd cartridge releases BEFORE the lever gets to the bottom of the stroke you need a new link. See numrich part number 33 of the Winchester 94 parts list. Parts are easily sourced on eBay. I doubt this is the problem.

If the cartridge is released as you close the lever your carrier has a problem sticking in the raised position. You may be able to troubleshoot and repair the factory carrier, like clean the crud out! If your carrier is sheet metal as many of the mid-60’s 94s were, it’s likely defective and causing the jam because the carrier is not freely returning to the lower position BEFORE the lever is fully closed.

A new carrier made from a machined MIM casting may be sourced from Homestead Parts. If they’re out of stock, look for one on eBay https://homesteadparts.com/shop/carrier ... cPath=1_11

Hope this helps.
- Joe
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

And your carrier should positively snap into the raised position as the lever gets to the bottom. If it does not, again, a carrier issue, likely missing or broken carrier spring.
- Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

This is a VERY common issue with 94’s. Especially post 64 commemoratives…

You may not want to hear this but the BEST way to fix it is to single load it. Not from the top (not legal) but individual round into the mag, cycle up, fire, eject, single round into the mag etc…. It is a little time consuming but once you get the muscle memory down it isn’t really any slower then loading 5 (assume that is what you are doing).

But to be fair… even single loading like that, you can get a cartridge that jumps the stop and hangs everything up. I keep a medium size screw driver on the table/stand (flat blade). When it happens the cartridge is on top of the lifter, under the bolt and the rim is stuck under the bolt with you fighting the mag follower pushing it back. You stick the screw driver in and pry the cartridge forward back into the mag. It WILL dent the case, it will fire just fine. Also make sure you don’t have too much magazine spring. You only need about 4-6” longer then to tube. If the follower and tube are in good shape it doesn’t require a ton of pressure to feed.

If you aren’t already using a push stick find something you can get behind the cartridge, push inwards and forwards. Inwards to open the gate as much as possible and forward past the cartridge stop. The pusher is because to do it properly your finger has to go inside the rifle a bit and the gate tends to scrape off a little skin.

Always cock the hammer BEFORE cycling the action. It makes the action cycle easier and the 94 really appreciates a swift fully opened then swift fully shut. Slow or kinda herky jerky will cause problems… .

I’ve been shooting a 94 action quite a while and once you figure out how to “cycle it” and “feed it” how it likes it really isn’t that bad.

FWIW, I feel the 92 is a much smoother and better feeding design but it doesn’t accommodate the longer cartridges.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Could just be a matter of old oil or gunk built up on the carrier pin, pull that and clean it up and see if that doesn't let the carrier work like it should.
Lots of times those rifles stored and seldom cycled like that will have some sticky parts.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Emmitt,
How does a master Mercedes mechanic make any money offering low cost advice like “single load?” :-o

First Roe v Wade is overturned and now this? What is the world coming too?
- Joe
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 pm Emmitt,
How does a master Mercedes mechanic make any money offering low cost advice like “single load?” :-o

First Roe v Wade is overturned and now this? What is the world coming too?
Advise is free. Fixing stuff costs…. ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Winchester Centennial 66 ought to be a shooter. Hang in there and get it fixed, or single load.

But man, I’d have to cut off the curved steel butt and screw on a thick recoil pad. I did that to my Classic and it’s a lot more comfortable, especially with ram loads.
- Joe