cleaning a Browning BL-22 lever gun

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

cleaning a Browning BL-22 lever gun

Post by ppkny »

Cleaning a Browning BL-22
I'm hesitant to disassemble this gun because of the complex internals. Has anyone used 'brake cleaner' to cleanse a lever gun and if so how would it be accomplished.
There's plenty of youtube videos on taking this gun apart but they all caution that it's a real bear.
ppkny
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: cleaning a Browning BL-22 lever gun

Post by JohnHenry »

Brake cleaner--I would be afraid it might damage the wood finish.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Do NOT be afraid of taking it apart for cleaning.
Watch this video and see how easy it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSwNQyMstQY A one screw take-down.
The awkward (he says PITA) part is the ejector and spring, but if you pay careful attention to his description, it's really not that hard.
Great rifles, BTW. Especially the 24" octagon. Love mine.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Okay, thanks for the support, I guess I'll try a tear down and cleaning. The video looks straightforward enough even with the PITA comments.
I also have the 24inch octagon barrel, bought about 3 years ago and very happy with all aspects of this gun.
Not sensitive as to what way your holding it when your going through the insert/eject-cycle like some other lever gun are.
ppkny
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

When I don't want to take the time to break them down, I remove the wood and run lighter fluid into the action, work the action, repeat until all the gunk, grey and black comes out. Lighter fluid has lubricating properties as well as being a solvent, so you don't dry the metal out like brake cleaner does. This method works well for me if I don't want to go into a detailed break down and clean.

Of course, it's flammable, I do it outside and away from flames and sparks and all that.

I do this with a lot of lever guns, and I don't like to break down Browning centerfire lever rifles, and this method works very well with them.

I don't own a Browning BL-22 but I do this with my 39 and my wives Winchester lever 22 rifle.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

ywltzucanrknrl,

Thanks.I just might try this before I really have the need for the tear down.
Pete
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I use Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner spray (not the case lube spray) for the same purpose. It's not cheap but I have never had it harm plastic and it leaves a little dry lube behind. Turn the rifle upside down, blast out the receiver and let the excess run back out of the ejection port. It is good for getting cruddy semi-auto .22s back running, also.