Leather Vest

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Leather Vest

Post by 44 mag »

The subject of the Leather/Suede Vest has been brought up and argued about many times. Well we now have a final ruling. I have in hand a email from The NRA stating that the Leather/Suede Vest that are used in SB/HP are legal to use in Lever Action as long as the are worn properly (A 4” Pipe must fit up inside them). I would be happy to forward the email to any MD”s. These vests will be legal at The Nationals. Mike Haynes
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Leather Vest

Post by cedestech »

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

atomicbrh@hotmail.com
I am curious about which employee left at the NRA thinks they know enough details about silhouette to make this decision especially when they most likely have never even observed a silhouette match of any kind. There were many mesh vests built and purchased when people already had the typical hp/sb vest.
Forward please.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

View my profile and send an email, please.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:30 am atomicbrh@hotmail.com
I am curious about which employee left at the NRA thinks they know enough details about silhouette to make this decision especially when they most likely have never even observed a silhouette match of any kind. There were many mesh vests built and purchased when people already had the typical hp/sb vest.
Forward please.
I've heard 2 versions of this story but both came out of the Silhouette Committee meeting....

Rumor at Louisiana state match is it was approved, then I heard it was actually tabled...

I think it's more psychological than anything IF the pipe requirement is still enforced...

I know I am still wearing my normal shotgun style especially in the summer...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

It was tabled but since there is no definitive rule in the book that says they are no aloud then they will be aloud. I will send emails this evening.
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

44 mag wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:53 am It was tabled but since there is no definitive rule in the book that says they are no aloud (not allowed) then they will be aloud (allowed). I will send emails this evening.
Not quite true.
Check your Rule Book: -
3.12 (a) & (b) Clothing, and,
3.18 Equipment.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

44 mag wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:53 am It was tabled but since there is no definitive rule in the book that says they are not allowed then they will be allowed.
I disagree that there is no definitive rule in the rule book that disallows leather vests in Lever action:

The general rule in all silhouette is Rule 3.12 which says no shooting vests that add stability: "Shooting coats, unnecessarily heavy clothing, or anything on the person that would provide artificial support such as clothing having excess padding or stiffening material or which restricts or supports the body in the shooting position may not be worn."

Rule 3.12(a) then creates an EXCEPTION: "Sleeveless leather, vinyl, heavy fabric or multiple layered vests that may be considered or construed to be unnecessarily heavy or to provide artificial support are permitted if they can be closed over a gauge made from 4 inch thin wall PVC pipe..."

The rule specific to lever gun clothing (Rule 3.1.3(e)) disallows heavy shooting vests and does not provide an exception: "Clothing that adds stability to the shooting position is not allowed."

So we have a general rule (Rule 3.12) with an exception then a more specific rule for Lever action (Rule 3.1.3(e)) with no exception. The specific rule limits the general rule and makes heavy vests illegal for Lever Action .

Rule 3.12 also directs all clothing questions to the jury, "Any dispute regarding clothing will be submitted to the Jury for decision." So if you wear a heavy vest at a Lever action match, the jury should be called and it should disallow the vest because the rules specifically (maybe not CLEARLY, but specifically) disallow clothing that adds stability for Lever Action and the rules do not provided the exception for leather vests that is provided to the general rule.

The 4-inch pipe rule is part of the exception that is overruled by the clothing rule specific to Lever Action.

Dustin
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

what if it has fringe? would that make it a cowboy vest?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

psteiger wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm what if it has fringe? would that make it a cowboy vest?
Only if you can find proof that John Wayne wore it in a movie
firewizard40
B Poster
B Poster

Post by firewizard40 »

Uncle Pat if you are bold enough to wear it I will fight for to make it legal.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Electronically stabilized binoculars are okay but a spotting scope isn't; I don't think using the same vest as most people already have will make much difference.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

thauglor wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:28 am Electronically stabilized binoculars are okay but a spotting scope isn't; I don't think using the same vest as most people already have will make much difference.
I think it's more a psychological factor... "maybe" an animal a match... I know I'm not wearing mine.... thing is freaking too hot in the Summer!