You can’t shoot silhouette at night.
The season is over for now.
I don’t have tv.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Survey

Post by atomicbrh »

I guess everybody went to bed. They stopped posting.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Jeanne,

I very reluctantly vote a very soft "no" on this.

I have been a big proponent of this change for years. I would love to get rid of two days of shooting and the practice day in between (two now, apparently) and turn a 10-11 day trip into a 7 or 8 day trip. However a few things have made me reconsider.

First, 60-shot matches are harder physically and mentally than 40s. The national championship week is tough as it is (that last day can put you straight to sleep!) and I believe moving to 60-shot matches will make it harder and less pleasant for many shooters. The scores will drop and that is always less fun than higher scores.

Second, more shooting in Raton afternoon weather means more of an affect the weather will have on the championships. That's no good.

Third, in 2017 I brought this up at the competitors meeting in Ridgway. After the meeting, Eric Boos pulled me aside and explained to me that the difference between the national championship and a state or regional championship is that the national champion is the shooter that can bring it every day and be consistently the best shooter over three days. I realized that, while I had lots of good reasons that changing to two 60s/day is a great idea and more efficient, sometimes efficientcy isn't the most important thing and I probably need to listen to a guy like Eric that has been doing this a lot longer than me and has seen more than me. I think Eric had a perspective that I didn't have and understood better than me what the national match course is and how it has to be handled.

So, while I've liked the idea a lot for a long time, I don't think it's the way to go.

Dustin
Last edited by dustinflint on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Thank you all for well thought-out opinions.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Disregard
Last edited by DavidABQ on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmike6970
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bigmike6970 »

My Vote is for 40's
Pagunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Pagunner »

So I dont become long winded like some others. Yes for small bore, no for high power. Seniors and super seniors can shot 40's and we can adjust the scores for a 60 match.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Pagunner wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:17 pmSo I dont become long winded like some others.
I see what you did there...

Dustin
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I prefer 40's both as a match director and a competitor. I even liked the bad old days of a 40 round warmup match before the start of the Nationals. Having experimented with 60 round matches at our club we found no particular time advantage. In fact folks complained about fatigue....and I tired of hearing them ( thus fatigue x 2) ;) So we'll continue with 40's.