Classification Update

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Classification Update

Post by psteiger »

The sky is definitely falling. I hit the ground way harder than I should have last night. It should have rolled on. =))
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

cslcAl wrote: Copied from the original post, lets take this point by point.
1.The biggest problem he is having with silhouette right now is that he has no idea how many shooters there actually are, and how many matches a given shooter shoots in a given year.
Apparently they have no idea how many books they sell?
There is no accounting of match results sent into the NRA?
This new system going to make them actually do the job there already supposed to be doing?
2.He told me he need a more accurate accounting of the shooters to go forward with promoting the sport for the future.
I have no idea what this means, someone explain to me in detail.
3.He firmly believes there are MORE silhouette shooters than they know of.
Everyone is aware that there are many clubs that have targets, have matches and don't get the NRA involved, he must have a plan to bring these clubs into active NRA participation? They already think the match fees are to high, there will have to be a clear benefit to these clubs to come into the fold, what is it?
4.We all know there are big problems with the jury card system.
I'm not aware of this "big problem" explain in detail and how is the new system going remedy it?

None of this please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubVZ7HcJvc

Al Foust
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

I have to agree with Jason, it is about time the NRA modernized. I find it very interesting some on this board complain the NRA never does anything, does not change there must be a conspiracy. Followed with let's start our own organization and keep everything the same but we will have more shooter??? It will be free.

Jason summed it up well in his money statement. I am waiting to see the changes and am excited about them.

Greg
ALPHAWOLF45
B Poster
B Poster

Post by ALPHAWOLF45 »

Will this mean that can go online to see our scores? And also see what the other guys at the local matches are shooting? I am just getting started in this and want to know how I am doing compared to all the other shooters.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Has anyone explained yet how this is Obama's fault?
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will. o'bummer is to blame. =))
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

Too Funny. I will go along with whatever is decided at the NRA. I am one of those that has 8 people come to our monthly summer tournaments. I still would have to collect the money, fill out the form, and mail a check to the Silhouette Tournament Department. I fill out the jury card is easy and mail all with payment. This would be normal.

It would be nice to tell the competitors, if they wish to have a classification, they can go on line, pay a fee for the classification form/book to be printed out. I wouldn't have to handle more $$$ and keep track of the sale of books. At the end of the season, I would not have to fill out another form writing down the unsold book numbers and what numbered books were not sold, pay for the postage to return unsold books, plus a personal check for those sold. If they eliminated these two things, it would really be nice.

I always submit our tournament results, submit tournament fee, and jury card, and mail all together. No Problem.

I'll be standing by to see what NRA changes may come along and abide by them. Changes in shooter classifications are okay with me too. If they want a badge to sew on their shooting jacket designating their classification, they can buy from the NRA with any kind of proof?? I'll continue to maintain an inventory level of Silhouette pins.

It is nice to know the wheels are turning in the NRA Silhouette Dept. I have no complaints. It is what you want to make of it
and you will always hear from complainers. For those, I say, bye bye and move on. Again, we have 8 shooters and everyone of them helps, with what needs done. I have 2 assistance with their own responsibilities at Tournament time. I need to find someone that will volunteer to do our calling. :)
Jon
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

It would be interesting to hear from someone at every club in the country currently having NRA matches as to the attendance number, around here the cowboy silhouette and BPC have the biggest attendance numbers I'm told, 3rd is 22 silhouette followed by highpower. Not sure on cowboy or BPC but the numbers for smallbore are 14 to 25 depending on the day, highpower is about half that, there is no pistol or air rifle silhouette in Colorado.
I said earlier that there are many clubs that shoot silhouette but aren't interested in NRA rules or reporting, I believe the real number of people that buy books and shoot NRA tournaments is much lower than most folks think it is.
Just a guess but I would say there's 125 people in Colorado shooting some form of silhouette that have a book, anyone else want to chime in with a guess on the number in their state?
The majority of states have no silhouette but I would guess that either California or Texas would be at the top of the list with either Arizona, Washington or Florida being right in there for the top 5.
Surprisingly friends from New Mexico say it's almost non-existent there, don't know about Pennsylvania or Louisiana.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

Kevin,

Texas is probably just about where Colorado is state wide, I can only guess we have about 100+ silhouette shooters.

Small-bore: Both Bayou Rifles, and Pearland share many of the same shooters and average about 15-20 per month. Golden Triangle, I think is a bit smaller. New Braunfels also a bit smaller. El Paso unknown but the last I head were larger than 20. Fort Worth about the same 15-20+
High-power: Houston No active ranges, New Braunfels kind of active range (may loss the entire range shortly), Coolidge (working to save the range) maybe 5-6, El Paso last I heard was good turnouts.
Air-Rifle: Too my knowledge 1 match a year
Pistol: Bayou Rifles: 2-3, Austin: Unknown
Cowboy: Bayou Rifles: 5 - 6, Fort Worth: A few more.
Unaffiliated clubs shoots: To my knowledge none.

You cannot add these shooters up because many shoot multiple Silhouette sports. Like I said before I am classified in 10 events.

The question, I think we need to ask is, "If there are so many unaffiliated clubs why?" I do not believe it has to do with the NRA but more with I have peaked, I am tired, there are only 5 - 6 showing up and they are local shooters only. So why do I get with any affiliation? I just do not believe there are untapped 100s of shooters out there.

Greg
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I agree with you Gregg. They aren't going to get many newbies no matter what they do. The only way I see for them to grow is with indoor winter shooting that doesn't interfere with all the summer fun and the sport will have to be easier. I have seen too many show up once, shoot a score of 10 to 8 and never come back. Most guys think they are great shots and they are not.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Did anyone else see in this months Shooting Sports USA where Dennis said the Silhouette Committee recommended this change???? Hmmm from what I hear they as well as GregC. hadn't heard about it before last months article.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I would like to know how many silhouette shooters are on that committee. I have been wondering that for years.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Jerry G wrote:I would like to know how many silhouette shooters are on that committee. I have been wondering that for years.
I met one committee member at nationals last year. Laura Goetsch I think. Sorry if I butchered your name Laura. I got the impression she was the only committee member in attendance. She was very knowledgeable and helpful. Maybe you can ask her about the rest of the committee members.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

The names of the 2015 Silhouette Committee members can be found on page one of the 2015 NRA National Silhouette Championships Official Program.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

One change that might help is changing the rules to allow AR's to compete. Every generation of shooters has a lot of veterans, and they want to shoot what they're accustomed to. This cohort appreciates cerakote and forged aluminum much more than blued steel and walnut.

Changing classifications is fine, but without some adaptation we're just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis