Classification Update

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Classification Update

Post by Jason »

I try to avoid quoting myself, but please see the following excerpt from my post on this topic from almost three months ago. Congratulations, complainers. You got your wish.
Jason wrote:If enough of us silhouette shooters are perceived as negative no matter what, then the sport will rightfully be determined to be "more trouble than it's worth" by the NRA and marginalized until it effectively dies on the vine. If enough declare that silhouette is special and we won't stand for changing the classification system to the same system that the other sports use, that will massively complicate any efforts that the NRA undertakes to modernize and adds more "trouble" into the "more trouble than silhouette is worth" equation. Complaining about fee changes when the only comment so far is saying that there doesn't appear to be any reason "why the NRA would need to" add a lot of fees adds yet more "trouble" to the equation. There has to be a finite limit of "trouble" that will result in the NRA saying "Due to complaints from competitors, we have decided to not change silhouette classifications or add silhouette to our upcoming online registration and reporting system at this time." When you hear/see that, you should translate that as "silhouette and silhouette shooters have been determined to be more trouble to deal with than the participant group and participation level is worth given the limited resources of the NRA competitions division."

This will be followed by no changes (a.k.a. attempts to improve) and increasingly lower response rates from NRA competitions leadership to shooter concerns. This will lead to very little promotion of silhouette events and lower support and attendance levels at events like the national championships. This is the previously-mentioned "dying on the vine" phase. Sound familiar? It should. It's what many silhouette shooters have been complaining about for years and quite a number of these same people appear to be doing everything that they can to convince the NRA that it's the right way to handle silhouette.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Here is what I got. The head of the shooting Dept. of the NRA makes a statement about changing the classification for silhouette (which nobody else seems to know shit about), after receiving reems of paperwork (which nobody knows shit about), a member gets on the phone with said Directer (and still nobody knows shit), three Nationals are fired, small bore, high power, and lever (still nobody knows shit about any changes), coming toward the end of year when the match directors turn in the paperwork for next years match (and yet nobody knows shit about any changes), and then low and behold someone finally hears something from somebody not at the top of the heap but close to it. Is there something wrong with this picture or am I not wearing my rose colored glasses today?
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Here's what little I got which is suitable for the useless information file. Changing our classification system to mimic the high power system that has been around for decades is a plan that I can't find fault with; after all the classes are just a way of making competition more palpable or 'friendly'. The change would also enable a comparison with other disciplines and a bit more adaptable to electronic reporting (less confusing for the competitions office). Its a 'no big deal' in my book and I really don't care when and if....and maybe just maybe the NRA will give a rats ass about us :D
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I cannot fathom the angst associated with this. I'm with Snake. I could not possibly care less about the classification system. Maybe now we can go on to worrying about something more important like how to get more shooters to matches.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

JB summed it up quite well. A lot of crap stirred up by rumor and only silence from the NRA. Seems to me that was a dumb move on their part to stir the pot and let it simmer for a long time. We still don't have a word on the subject from the NRA.

I am going back to my original statement!!! "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It seems like every time things get quiet, someone starts agitating and the talk flairs up about breaking away from the NRA sanction. This has been going on since the mid 80s and it is BS for nothing. I do know a lot of people that aren't too happy with the NRA and we don't need that pot stirred because every time it happens, it stinks.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Well, it was the NRA's Dennis Willing himself that started it with his not one but 2 statements in Shooting Sports USA magazine an not one of the committee members or Greg knew anything about it. I for one, like Snake an others, don't give a rats behind if they change the name of the classifications that is all samantic's, it was the comments that it was a additional 'fee' per match that was the issue I had with it. The good news is we'll have two to three years before they sort it out internally.

So for now, enough said lets shoot.

Jerry G wrote:JB summed it up quite well. A lot of crap stirred up by rumor and only silence from the NRA. Seems to me that was a dumb move on their part to stir the pot and let it simmer for a long time. We still don't have a word on the subject from the NRA.

I am going back to my original statement!!! "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It seems like every time things get quiet, someone starts agitating and the talk flairs up about breaking away from the NRA sanction. This has been going on since the mid 80s and it is BS for nothing. I do know a lot of people that aren't too happy with the NRA and we don't need that pot stirred because every time it happens, it stinks.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

I will venture another observation or more properly a speculation. The current classifications are understood by current competitors, They do not mean squat to the novice or the curious or the ' I might' like to do that shooter. Those uninitiated seem to understand 'novice' , 'marksman' 'sharpshooter' 'expert' 'master' and even 'distinguished master'. They are befuddled by our alphabet system. The classic system is user friendly and intuitive. Then again :-?? Its still more of a so what in my book
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I am glad to hear that there is some sort of timeframe when they expect to implement a new classification system.
I still wonder how much more money they intend to charge to cover their costs and divert to the legislative lobby group.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Can't divert that money Dave and retain their tax exempt status. NRA/ILA is the political arm. I do hope all of you donate to them.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

This just in.... (At least silhouette got mentioned 1st)...

Shooting Sports USA update regarding record books;

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/12/2 ... uary-2016/
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

It is nice to see some information printed in a NRA manipulated publication.