World Cup of Silhouette

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: World Cup of Silhouette

Post by dustinflint »

THREE spots left. Who wants in???

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The 2014 and inaugural World Cup of Silhouette is full. July is the group stage. The top 8 shooters (by average scores and results at championship smallbore matches this year) were seeded 1-8 and each given a group. There are eight #2 seeds, eight #3 seeds and eight #4 seeds. Each group contains a Top-8 seed, a #2 seed, a #3 seed and a #4 seed. the #2, #3, and #4 seeds were placed in groups completely at random.

Instead of the group stage being 3 months long like it will starting in 2015, the group stage here will be inly one month long. Everyone will shoot one 80-shot match and the top two shooters from each group will advance to the Round of 16.

Here is the bracket:
2014 bracket.jpg
The July matchups with the date that each shooter will fire the match are as follows:
2014 July Matchups.jpg
Once you shoot your match, take a picture of both of your 40-shot scorecards and email the picture to louisianasilhouette@gmail.com. Please make sure your name is legibly written on the scorecard and have a couple of other shooters sign it to verify the score.

Let the games begin!

Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Are we allowed to watch and blow our Vuvuzelas while the players shoot?
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Dee wrote:Are we allowed to watch and blow our Vuvuzelas while the players shoot?
Yes, but considering that this is an ePostal match you have either email in your vuvuzela noise or post it here.

Dustin
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

dustinflint wrote:
Dee wrote:Are we allowed to watch and blow our Vuvuzelas while the players shoot?
Yes, but considering that this is an ePostal match you have either email in your vuvuzela noise or post it here.

Dustin
True but I can stand behind YOU while you shoot your part of the match =)) and a few others on the list as well. You know just give the locals some support :ymhug:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Dee wrote:True but I can stand behind YOU while you shoot your part of the match =)) and a few others on the list as well. You know just give the locals some support :ymhug:
Dee
I'm used to the "support" now...

Why didn't you enter???

Dustin
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

Hey Dustin,
Sounds like fun. Any room left for a Canadian boy. If so, I will fill out the form and send it to you.
Cheers
Mike van der Linden
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

caseyboy wrote:Hey Dustin,
Sounds like fun. Any room left for a Canadian boy. If so, I will fill out the form and send it to you.
Cheers
Mike van der Linden
Sorry Mike, we are all full for this year and the matches have already started. But don't fret, in 2015 we will be doing it bigger and better and hopefully with separate brackets for different skill levels/classes. Keep your eyes open here and enter the 2015 version!

Dustin
caseyboy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by caseyboy »

Hey Dustin,
Not to worry, I will watch this with great interest and sign on for 2015. This is an excellent idea! Is anyone taking side bets? 8)
Cheers Mike
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

After today, two of the groups are complete, with upsets in both.

In Group D, #2 seed "Innocent" Mary Watkins edged out #1 seed Bill Motl to win the group. The results of Group D were:

(7) Bill Motl - 68/80
Mary Watkins - 71/80
John Neihouse - 42/80
Lynda Fitzpatrick - 33/80

Both Mary Watkins and Bill Motl advance from the group to the knockout stage. Mary will take on the second place finisher from Group C and Bill will take on the winner of Group C.

In Group G, #1 seed David Bonner won the group and #3 seed Clint Munzlinger finished second to advance. The results of Group G were:

(5) David Bonner - 67/80
Pat Steiger - 59/80
Clint Munzlinger - 62/80
Rod Nolan - 42/80

David Bonner and Clint Munzlinger advance from the group to the knockout stage. David will take on the second place finisher from Group H and Clint will take on the winner of Group H.

More results to come as groups are decided throughout July.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

After today, three more groups are complete.

In Group C, #1 seed Hayley Kunzli won the group and #2 seed Alan Fitzpatrick finished second to advance. The results of Group C were:

(8) Hayley Kunzli - 69/80
Alan Fitzpatrick - 54/80
Joseph Steiger - 44/80
Scott Stephenson - 35/80

Both Hayley Kunzli and Alan Fitzpatrick advance from the group to the knockout stage. Hayley will take on the second place finisher from Group D, Bill Motl, and Alan will take on the winner of Group D, Mary Watkins.

In Group E, #2 seed Bruce Finley squeaked by #1 seed Mallory Nichols to win the group. The results of Group E were:

(4) Mallory Nichols - 67/80
Bruce Finley - 68/80
Eric Harper - 58/80
Gary Kunzli - 48/80

Bruce Finley and Mallory Nichols advance from the group to the knockout stage. Bruce will take on the second place finisher from Group F, fellow Louisianan and teammate Jerry Tureau, and Mallory will take on the winner of Group F, Gabriel Villarreal.

In Group F, #1 seed Gabriel Villarreal won the group and #2 seed Jerry Tureau finished second to advance. The results of Group F were:

(3) Gabriel Villarreal- 68/80
Jerry Tureau - 66/80
Jacie Kennison - 58/80
Jessica Hamilton - 54/80

Gabriel Villarreal and Jerry Tureau advance from the group to the knockout stage. Gabriel will take on the second place finisher from Group E, Mallory Nichols, and Jerry Tureau, will take on the winner of Group E, Bruce Finley.

Groups A, B and H will be completed next weekend and the Knockout Round starts in August. Should be lots of fun!

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The Group stage is now complete! It's on to the knockout rounds. The results from this weekend were:

In Group A, #1 seed and top overall seed Cathy Winstead-Severin won the group and #2 seed Greg Hamilton finished second to advance. The results of Group A were:

(1) Cathy Winstead-Severin - 69/80
Greg Hamilton - 59/80
Karl Dorney - 47/80
Joe Price - DNS

Both Cathy Winstead-Severin and Greg Hamilton advance from the group to the knockout stage. Cathy will take on the second place finisher from Group B, Joe DuBoulay, and Greg will take on the winner of Group B, Elisabeth Steiger.

In Group B, #1 seed Elisabeth Steiger won the group and #2 seed Joe DuBoulay finished second to advance. The results of Group B were:

(2) Elisabeth Steiger - 73/80
Joe DuBoulay - 66/80
Adam Bell - 50/80
Scott Stephenson - 35/80

Elisabeth Steiger and Joe DuBoulay advance from the group to the knockout stage. Elisabeth will take on the second place finisher from Group A, Greg Hamilton, and Joe will take on the winner of Group A, Cathy Winstead-Severin.

In Group H, #1 seed Dustin Flint won the group and #2 seed Matthew Canning finished second to advance. The results of Group H were:

(6) Dustin Flint - 73/80
Matthew Canning - 60/80
Nicholas Steiger - 53/80
Dewey Stewart - 38/80

Dustin Flint and Matthew Canning advance from the group to the knockout stage. Dustin will take on the second place finisher from Group G, Clint Munzlinger, and Matthew will take on the winner of Group G, David Bonner.

The updated bracket looks like this:
Knockout Stage Bracket.jpg
Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The World Cup of Silhouette matchups for August, and dates that the matches will be shot, are below:
2014 August Matchups.jpg
Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

After this past weekend, one match has been decided: Mary Watkins (67/80) beat Alan Fitzpatrick (59/80) to win match 6 and move on to the round of 8. Mary will face the winner of (2) Elisabeth Steiger and Greg Hamilton in September.

Dustin
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

dustinflint wrote:
OldRanger wrote:Sounds like fun, but for an A shooter like myself I would think you need some kind of handicap in place. I'm not sure how/what but something. I could shoot the best score of my life and still lose every match by a lot....
I thought about that and it's a consideration. I designed a handicap system for our year-long club championship here in Louisiana and it is fun and allows everyone to compete against each other. The problem is that no matter how you do it, it punishes the master class shooters. The way we do it here is average each shooter's last five scores and give a handicap of however many shots needed to get that average up to 40. So, if you average a 20/40, you get 20 shots added onto the end of your score. A master Shooter that averages and 35 gets five points added to the score, but even if the master shooter shoots a 40, the best (s)he can do is a 45 where as if the lower-class shooter shoots a 26 then she gets a 46. This puts the master Shooter in a position where no matter how well he shoots he may not be able to win.
Dustin,

I've been thinking about different handicap formulas.

Alberta Silhouette Association applies handicaps based on a shooter's class - http://www.absilhouetteassoc.ca/handicap.html
It's fairer than a handicap based on rolling averages, but definitely favors those that are near the top of their class and just haven't moved up yet.

I applied a rolling, 5 match average handicap to my scores from my last 39 matches and I would have ended up with handicapped scores in the 33-45 range with 61% over 40 - certainly not fair to any other shooters that are shooting consistently.

Perhaps, a better handicap system would be to average a player's 5 highest scores over the past 12 (or 24) months instead of just averaging their most recent 5 scores. Applying this handicap to my scores, I would have ended up with handicapped scores in the 30-45 range with only 26% over 40 and most of those were when I was just starting out. More importantly, the frequency of 40+ scores is greatly reduced over time and will stay that way until I start to consistently improve.

Glad to see the World Cup doing well. G'luck all shooters.