World Cup of Silhouette

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: World Cup of Silhouette

Post by dustinflint »

curmudgeon wrote:Alberta Silhouette Association applies handicaps based on a shooter's class - http://www.absilhouetteassoc.ca/handicap.html
It's fairer than a handicap based on rolling averages, but definitely favors those that are near the top of their class and just haven't moved up yet.
We prefer using handicaps based on the last 5 scores fired because it more accurately takes into account how a shooter has been shooting recently, and not just what class a shooter happens to be in. Shooters within a class can shoot much different scores. A low master shooter who has been shooting mostly AAA scores has no chance against a high master shooter if they have the same handicap.
curmudgeon wrote:I applied a rolling, 5 match average handicap to my scores from my last 39 matches and I would have ended up with handicapped scores in the 33-45 range with 61% over 40 - certainly not fair to any other shooters that are shooting consistently.
Scores over 40 really don't matter too much. The only time it gets tricky is when a shooter can score outside the reach of another shooter. It is usually impossible for a handicapped high master shooter to shoot anything over a handicapped 45. BUT, that advantage is usually equalized by shoot-offs. Here in Louisiana, in our handicapped club championship, if you are a lower-classed shooter, you better beat the high master shooters in the match because if you get in a shootoff (which happens regularly) the master shooter has his/her advantage back.
curmudgeon wrote:Perhaps, a better handicap system would be to average a player's 5 highest scores over the past 12 (or 24) months instead of just averaging their most recent 5 scores. Applying this handicap to my scores, I would have ended up with handicapped scores in the 30-45 range with only 26% over 40 and most of those were when I was just starting out. More importantly, the frequency of 40+ scores is greatly reduced over time and will stay that way until I start to consistently improve.
I think that would be a bit too complicated to do on Excel before a match.
curmudgeon wrote:Glad to see the World Cup doing well. G'luck all shooters.
Just to let you know, I don't think we are going to need to worry about handicapping for the World Cup next year or in the future. I am hoping that we will have enough entries to have separate brackets for separate classes. As long as we have at least 16 shooters entered in each class, I can easily create the proper brackets. This year everyone is lumped together because it is just a test-run put together at the last minute. Next year folks will have months to sign up and we should get lots of participation and we can put shooters in a bracket against only shooters of similar ability. We wont need seeds then and everyone will have a chance to win if you shoot well.

Dustin
Deau-we
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Deau-we »

Dustin,

Have you given any thought to the impact of a competitor moving up in class while shooting in the WCOS competition next year? For example- an A class competitor moving up to AA. If the competition is going to last several months, there is that possibility.

Also, if said competitor moved up in class during the first match and had the possibility of even moving up in class again before the WCOS ended.. unlikely but possible, how would or could this be handled?

I may be asking a question that might end up being moot, but...

Deau-we
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Deau-we wrote:Dustin,

Have you given any thought to the impact of a competitor moving up in class while shooting in the WCOS competition next year? For example- an A class competitor moving up to AA. If the competition is going to last several months, there is that possibility.

Also, if said competitor moved up in class during the first match and had the possibility of even moving up in class again before the WCOS ended.. unlikely but possible, how would or could this be handled?

I may be asking a question that might end up being moot, but...

Deau-we
I have thought about it. The brackets will not be divided solely on class. Many shooters shoot in different classes in Standard and Hunter anyway. On the entry form, I ask for an average of the last 10 matches. A lot of the placing is based on that average as well as the class.

I think there will be four brackets: Master, AAA, AA & A/B. shooters that split classes will be placed in the bracket appropriate for their average of the last 10 matches. Also, shooters may have to be placed in certain brackets to make the numbers work out. For instance, if there are only 15 shooters in the AA bracket, the lowest averaging AAA shooter may be put into the AA bracket to make an even 16 shooters.

This being a tournament over several months, there will be people changing classes but unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that. I anticipate that the shooter that wins the A/B bracket will end up AA by the end of the season and the shooter that wins the AA bracket will be AAA by the end of the season. That's just the way it falls out and this tournament will require the winners to shoot several good matches. Those good scores will upgrade some shooters.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

An EPIC WAR took place this month in the World Cup of Silhouette Round of 16! In Match 7, #3 seed (and newly-crowned highpower Standard Rifle National Champion) Gabriel Villarreal shot 71/80. #4 seed Mallory Nichols also shot 71/80.

Gabriel shot 37/40 in Standard and 34/40 in Hunter
Mallory Shot 38/40 in Standard and 33/40 in Hunter.

So, a tie in the World Cup of Silhouette is decided by reverse animal count.

Gabriel hit 8 turkeys in Standard and 8 turkeys in Hunter for 16 total turkeys.
Mallory hit 9 turkeys in Standard and 7 turkeys in Hunter for 16 total turkeys.

Still tied...

Gabriel hit 10 rams in Standard and 7 rams in Hunter for 17 total rams.
Mallory hit 9 rams in Standard and 8 rams in Hunter for 17 total rams.

Still tied...

Gabriel hit 10 chickens in Standard and 10 chickens in Hunter for 20 total chickens.
Mallory hit 10 chickens in Standard and 9 chickens in Hunter for 19 total chickens.

There you have it, Gabriel wins by ONE CHICKEN! What a great matchup between two of the top shooters in the world! Great scores by both!

Gabriel moves on to the Round of 8. Gabriel will face the winner of (6) Dustin Flint and Clint Munzlinger in September.

Dustin
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

I'll have to send Mallory a "stoopid chikuns" t-shirt. I was just at the shop that printed them up for me the other day as I gave all of the originals away without setting one aside for myself.

Great job on organizing this Dustin and sharing the scores! Very cool indeed!
Res ipsa loquitur
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

Three matches were decided today:

(7) Bill Motl (71/80) beat (8) Hayley Kunzli (58/80) to win Match 2 and advance to the round of 8. Bill will face the winner of (1) Cathy Winstead-Severin and Joe DuBoulay in September.

In a clash of teammates and best-buds, Bruce Finley (69/80) beat Jerry Tureau (67/80) to win Match 3 and advance to the round of 8. Bruce will face the winner of (5) David Bonner and Matthew Canning in September.

(6) Dustin Flint (77/80) beat Clint Munzlinger (68/80) to win Match 8 and advance to the round of 8. Dustin will face (3) Gabriel Villarreal in September.

The remainder of the round of 16 matches will finish up this and next weekend.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

One additional World Cup match was decided this past weekend:

Top overall seed Cathy Winstead-Severin (76/80) beat Joe DuBoulay (62/80) to win Match 1 and advance to the round of 8. Cathy will face (7) Bill Motl in September.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

Two matches were decided this past weekend to finish out the first round of the knockout stage and move us into the round of 8:

Matthew Canning (67/80) upset #5 seed David Bonner (65/80) to win Match 4 and advance to the round of 8. Matthew will face Bruce Finley in September.

Second overall seed and reigning national champion Elisabeth Steiger (71/80) beat Greg Hamilton (64/80) to win Match 5 and advance to the round of 8. Elisabeth will face Mary Watkins in September.

I will post the dates that each shooter will fire his/her September match this week. The bracket looks like this:
September Bracket.jpg
Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The World Cup of Silhouette matchups for September, and the dates the matches will be shot, are below (I'll update with Cathy's match date):
2014 September Matchups.jpg
Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

Two World Cup matches were decided this weekend:

Matthew Canning (67/80) beat Bruce Finley (66/80) to win Match 10 and advance to the semifinals. Matthew will face the winner of (1) Cathy Winstead-Severin and (7) Bill Motl in October.

Mary Watkins (67/80) upset (2) Elisabeth Steiger (63/80) to win Match 11 and advance to the semifinals. Mary will face the winner of (3) Gabriel Villarreal and (6) Dustin Flint in October.

These results guarantee that the semifinals will include two seeded shooters (top seeds in their Groups) and two unseeded shooters (both #2 seeds in their groups). Obviously, this tournament is a toss-up with great shooters all over the world competing and lots of changing variables. Should be fun in the future.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

One World Cup match was decided this weekend:

Dustin Flint (76/80) took advantage of great conditions to beat Gabriel Villarreal (63/80), who fought through terrible conditions, to win Match 12 and advance to the semifinals. Dustin will face Mary Watkins in October.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

The Round of 8 is now over and it's on to the semifinals!

In the last match of the month, Cathy Winstead-Severin (73/80) beat Bill Motl (72/80) to win Match 13 and advance to the semifinals. The semifinal matchups to be decided in October are:

(1) Cathy Winstead-Severin vs. Matthew Canning

Mary Watkins vs. (6) Dustin Flint

The updated bracket is below:
October Bracket.jpg
Dustin
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

When are we going to get an update on the finals here? We're rolling into the end of the month and the last weekend of the month is already gone. :!!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

One World Cup semifinal match has been decided:

Dustin Flint (74/80) edged by Mary Watkins (71/80) to win Match 14 and advance to the championship match.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE:

The semifinals are over and we are down to the championship match.

Top overall seed Cathy Winstead-Severin (73/80) beat Matthew Canning (69/80) to win Match 13 and advance to the championship match.

The championship match will be:

(1) Cathy Winstead-Severin
vs.
(6) Dustin Flint

The updated bracket is below:
November Bracket.jpg
Dustin