RETURN of the World Cup of Silhouette

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

RETURN of the World Cup of Silhouette

Post by dustinflint »

Since it looks like we'll be social distancing for a while and not shooting most club matches or any championship matches, an e-postal match is in order -- and this looks like as good a time as any to bring back the World Cup of Silhouette.

In case you missed the last one back in 2015 (has it been that long??), here is the link to the SteelChickens thread for that tournament: viewtopic.php?t=9838

This tournament will be much the same as that one with a few changes to accommodate today's realities.

First, like before, this will be a bracketed, seeded tournament with a group stage leading to a knockout stage. There will likely be at least three brackets depending on how many entries we have (Master, AAA, AA-plus (maybe more)). Each shooter will shoot against each other shooter in the group with points assigned to shooters that win or tie each match. A pre-determined number of shooters will advance into the knockout stage then the tournament will continue single-elimination until the champion of each bracket is crowned. The tournament will last at least through the summer.

Also like last time, each shooter will email me scores from two 40-shot matches, a single 80-shot match, or two 60- shot matches and I'll use those scores against the other shooter to decide the match.

We will need to make the following changes from last time:

First, scores are not required to be shot at "official" matches. It's suggested that you stay away from everyone, so you can shoot these matches by yourself during practice if need be.

Here are the requirements:

1. Matches may be shot with any legal Smallbore rifle or air rifle.
2. Matches must be shot outdoors.
3. Matches must be shot on full- distance Smallbore silhouette ranges with 1/5-scale targets, full distance air Rifle Silhouette ranges with 1/10-scale targets, or matches may be shot on alternate-distance ranges with properly scaled targets but the range must meet NRA Rule 6.4.1: Smallbore targets may not be placed closer than 40 meters and air rifle targets may not be placed closer than 20 yards.
4. Freestanding or resettable targets are preferred but swingers are legal.
5. Steel targets are preferred but paper targets are legal only if absolutely necessary.
6. This tournament is being conducted on the honor code, no witnesses or pictures/videos are required to prove your score.

All you do is shoot a match and email me the scores. Probably will need 80 shots every two weeks but we'll know more after we see how many people enter.

Entry fee - $0
Prize money - $0
Prize for winning - the priceless feeling of accomplishment for beating the greatest shooters in the world that entered the tournament.

This tournament is open to ANY SHOOTER, OF ANY ABILITY, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. Join in and show us what you can do!!

If you'd like to enter, please email me at dustinflint@yahoo.com with:

1. Your name
2. Your email address
3. Your HIGHEST NRA classification in std. or hunter Smallbore rifle or any air rifle.
4. Your average score with the rifle you anticipate using in these matches (not required that you use any one rifle, just need to get some info for seeding)

Please post here with any questions. Should be fun.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: RETURN of the World Cup of Silhouette

Post by acorneau »

Houston is on lockdown for the next 8-10 days so I'll have to see what I can get away with here around the house. If I figure out a solution I'll join in the fun.
Allen Corneau
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

How much space do you have in your backyard?

Dustin
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

About 60 feet across, but we have short hurricane fences so everyone can see what's going on in everyone else's backyard. One neighbor's house is vacant and another is an elderly lady, I don't want to freak out any of the others.

That being said, I just got back from a walk over to the golf driving range a few blocks away. They've given me permission to find some space at the back of their property so I think I've got a spot to set up some air rifle swingers.
:ymparty:
Allen Corneau
Pagunner
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Pagunner »

Dustin,

Are you gonna send us an email when you want to start recording scores.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Pagunner wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 pm Dustin,

Are you gonna send us an email when you want to start recording scores.
Yes I am still signing people up and solving some issues related to places to shoot. We are going to start late this week. Probably next weekend. I'll send out a big email with complete instructions.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Everyone,

I'm ready to get this show started but we need more shooters to sign up to fill the brackets!!

We've been working with some shooters that dont have access to their ranges to figure out ways to shoot scores.

Email me to sign up and let me know if you are having issues finding a place to shoot and we'll see if we can set something pi you can do in the back yard with an airgun or maybe somewhere else.

Dustin
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Dustin, can we use the scaled 50' smallbore paper targets? Not the full 60' mentioned but they are scaled to the distance.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Dee wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm Dustin, can we use the scaled 50' smallbore paper targets? Not the full 60' mentioned but they are scaled to the distance.
Yes, we are having a hard time getting enough folks that have access to full distances so we are basically allowing anything with the proper scale. A shooter shooting scaled closer targets will probably incur a small penalty when shooting against someone shooting at the normal distances.

I'm trying to come up with a proper penalty for cowboy lever action shooters as well so we can add them into the mix.

Dustin
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Everyone,

In an effort to fill the brackets with interested shooters, we have new allowable courses of fire and new rifles allowed.

Targets may be steel or paper - swingers are allowed. Indoors or outdoors is allowed.

In addition to scoped smallbore and air rifles at the normal distances, shooters can now enter the tournament shooting lever action rifles (SB OR PC) at the normal 1/2 scale targets set at 40, 50, 75 & 100 meters. - OR - lever action can be shot at all the targets at 40 meters, properly scaled.

Also allowed is air rifle with ANY NONMAGNIFIED SIGHT (including red dots) shot at 1/5 scale targets set at 20, 30, 36 and 45 yards. - OR - non-magnified air rifle can be shot at all the targets at 20 yards, properly scaled.

Also allowed is scoped smallbore shot at all the targets at 40 meters, properly scaled.

Also allowed is scoped air rifle shot at all the targets at 20 yards, properly scaled.

Also allowed is scoped smallbore or air rifle shot at all the targets as close as 10 meters, properly scaled. (so 10 meter, 50-foot, etc is all legal)

Since this is a head-too head match-play type tournament, certain penalties must be added to offset advantages - here is how that will work:

Level 1: no penalty - smallbore scoped rifle, target air rifle, sporter air rifle - full distances.

Level 2: 1 shot penalty per 40 rounds against a Level 1 shooter - Open air rifle at full distances.

Level 3: 1.5 shots penalty per 40 rounds against a Level 1 shooter - lever action at full distances; non-magnified sight air rifle at full distances; indoor smallbore or air rifle; smallbore scoped rifle scaled (down to 10 meters); scoped air rifle scaled (down to 10 meters).

Level 4: 2 shot penalty per 40 rounds against a Level 1 shooter - lever action scaled to 40 meters; non-magnified sight air rifle scaled to 20 yards.

So, in a head-to head matchup shooters at the same level will incur no adjustment to their score. A Level 3 shooter head to head against a level 1 shooter will give up 3 shots over an 80-shot match. A Level 4 shooter head to head against a Level 2 shooter will give up 2 shots over an 80-shot match. etc.

There is no requirement that you shoot the same rifle at the same targets throughout the tournament. You can change it up. When you email your score to me, you'll simply tell me which rifle you shot at which targets and I will apply the proper adjustment based on your opponent's equipment.

This is a bit complex but i will take care of all adjustments when the raw scores are sent to me. Please ask any questions here.

Get entered if you haven't already so we can get this show on the road!!

Dustin
hondayamaha
B Poster
B Poster

Post by hondayamaha »

hey dustin may we enter more than once with multiple guns at the proper distance with the proper gun? Rich Richards LIF E IS GOOD IN ARKANSAS WE HAVE A OPEN RANGE AND VERY LITTLE COOTIES
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

hondayamaha wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:04 pm hey dustin may we enter more than once with multiple guns at the proper distance with the proper gun? Rich Richards LIF E IS GOOD IN ARKANSAS WE HAVE A OPEN RANGE AND VERY LITTLE COOTIES
You don't enter more than once. Each week or so you will have an 80-shot head to head match against one other person. Once you shoot your 80 shots and send me your score, you'll tell me which rifle and targets you shot at and I will compare that to the other shooter and adjust the scores accordingly.

-HOWEVER-

If we have a flood of people signing up for lever action, I will create a new bracket for lever action only and we will allow multiple entries dividing it between scoped and non-scoped rifles.

Right now I am trying to fill 4 brackets: Master, AAA, AA & A/B.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

The MASTER bracket will be released TODAY!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE from the World Cup of Silhouette MASTER Bracket:

There are 8 groups in this bracket with 4 shooters per group - each shooter in a group shoots one time against each shooter in the group. 2 shooters from each group advance from the Group Stage to the Knockout Stage.

There are 16 top seeds in this tournament - 2 top seeds will be placed in each Group. They are chosen at random from little scraps of paper drawn out of an Alka-Seltzer Cold & Cough box on my desk.

The top seeds in Group A are: John Mullins and Luke Johnson.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

UPDATE from the World Cup of Silhouette MASTER Bracket:

The top seeds in Group B are: Chris Cawthorne and Mark Pharr