Reloading question....

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Reloading question....

Post by cedestech »

Not looking for fan boy answers.... I’ve been loading on a Lee Classic Turret for 10 years and get very acceptable results.

That being said... I have the opportunity to get into a Dillon 550 nicely accessorized....

Lateral movement or definite upgrade in the quality of the ammo produced? I currently load 8 calibers and the set up I’d be buying will do most of them already so other then transferring dies and powder drops their wouldn’t be a huge upset.

FWIW, I get MOA/sub MOA results on the Lee, My rockchucker hasn’t come off the wall in over a year...

:-B
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Reloading question....

Post by sdwooster »

I have been using a 650 dillion with the auto case feeder and primer feeder. Works great. I even use it for my 30-30 as well. It seems to throw the varget good. I put a baffle in the powder measure for better results. I think it is 10 years old, no problems.
IHMSA53393
B Poster
B Poster

Post by IHMSA53393 »

Not looking to give fanboy answer. But after using a Dillon I sold the Lee. There is no comparison.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

IHMSA53393 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:12 am Not looking to give fanboy answer. But after using a Dillon I sold the Lee. There is no comparison.
You know how it goes, ford vs chevy... ;) I like the Dillon press but hate the priming system... all things being equal though I’m wondering about consistency on rifle rounds as far as concentricity.

The lee is getting worn on the tool head and I probably ought to do something with it.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I use the Redding T7 turret press for sizing,seating etc. I have all the stuff for their priming system, but use the RCBS universal priming tool for the majority of cases.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

So you want to load 400-600 rounds an hour to shoot 5 rounds every 2.5 minutes. 80 rounds a day...... :P

Have two 550's and 4 SDB's right now. Sold 2 650's and 4 1050's not to long ago. 20 years with Dillon equipment in my reloading room.
With that said I use the Dillons for pistol and the single stages for rifle cartridges that require precision. Dillon's powder drop is, IMO, about the same as an RCBS. Dillon works well for bulk ammo and that's what I use them for. When .223 was 6-700.00 a thousand (if you could find it) I loaded many thousands of rounds on a dedicated 1050 - .223 and .308 - with a case and bullet feed. I hated it. When 223 got down to under 400 a case I quit the 223 loading and bought my ammo and was much happier.

Reloading on a progressive can be frustrating if the machine is not perfect. You can reload 10 or whatever and discover the primer seating has malfunctioned and you did not notice. The tool head needs to be full to get accurate drops on your powder so if you find you are screwing up it may be after you have already screwed up the five prior loads. There are mods you can do to the tool head that holds it steadier and helps with the consistency of the loads. I have heard that some very influential rifle shooters load with Dillon machines - with modifications but in my experience they work if you are after minute of plate but for F Class or anything really demanding of accuracy - not so much. 3 gun, USPSA, IDPA and some of the other action sports benefit far more than Silhouette shooters.

(Insert peeing in your Wheaties icon)
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Merlin wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:04 am So you want to load 400-600 rounds an hour to shoot 5 rounds every 2.5 minutes. 80 rounds a day...... :P

Have two 550's and 4 SDB's right now. Sold 2 650's and 4 1050's not to long ago. 20 years with Dillon equipment in my reloading room.
With that said I use the Dillons for pistol and the single stages for rifle cartridges that require precision. Dillon's powder drop is, IMO, about the same as an RCBS. Dillon works well for bulk ammo and that's what I use them for. When .223 was 6-700.00 a thousand (if you could find it) I loaded many thousands of rounds on a dedicated 1050 - .223 and .308 - with a case and bullet feed. I hated it. When 223 got down to under 400 a case I quit the 223 loading and bought my ammo and was much happier.

Reloading on a progressive can be frustrating if the machine is not perfect. You can reload 10 or whatever and discover the primer seating has malfunctioned and you did not notice. The tool head needs to be full to get accurate drops on your powder so if you find you are screwing up it may be after you have already screwed up the five prior loads. There are mods you can do to the tool head that holds it steadier and helps with the consistency of the loads. I have heard that some very influential rifle shooters load with Dillon machines - with modifications but in my experience they work if you are after minute of plate but for F Class or anything really demanding of accuracy - not so much. 3 gun, USPSA, IDPA and some of the other action sports benefit far more than Silhouette shooters.

(Insert peeing in your Wheaties icon)

That sounds like way too much work! I will just plug along with my RCBS single stage press. I am still too new at this stuff.
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

I found that dies and reloading technique/process has more influence on run out than which press I use. Also, if you measure brass, some is so bad you will never load a concentric round using it.
I run two Dillon 550's, and I had a Lee progressive. I gave the Lee to a young man who was learning to reload. It loads great ammo, nothing against it really, but it is not made for longevity like the Dillon.

I also have several single stages---Forester, RCBS, Lyman and presses for using bench rest hand dies, but I use the progressives the most.

When I shot service rifle highpower, plenty of the shooters including many of the top shooters loaded their ammo (600 yard included) on progressive presses, including just dumping powder with them. Just load them and shoot was their motto---less time reloading, more time shooting.

I would not hesitate to load any ammo on a progressive as far as run out goes. I do measure run out on a sample of most every batch I load.

I don't load full progressive on all occasions. I generally hand prime all of my brass because the hand primer has a better feel. I also measure my brass and check my dies---if I can't get concentric ammo with a die, I will buy a new set and try it. But if you have brass that has variances of up to four thousands on a side, it's hard to get ammo that is concentric---good brass and good dies are more important than the press. Unless the press has something fundamentally wrong.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I have decided to go ahead and switch over to the Dillon. The Lee will probably be gifted as well. It loads great still. :)
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Emmett, I've found progressive loaders don't work well for rifle ammo because of the need to trim after sizing. The only time it was helpful was when it came to seating and crimping the bullet which I do in two steps not one. If your loading for PC with straight wall brass its more useful when you size and bell as that's definitely a two step process. JM .02
I also hand prime. Its the only part I can watch TV and do at the same time...
As a side note I just bought a case prep machine from Hornady that deburs ID/OD and like it so far.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Emmitt, you made the right move. PM me with questions to set up 550 for CLA. Been there doing that and can set your expectations
- Joe
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I will if I have any issues.

One of the thing problems with my Lee is the loose/sloppy turret is allowing it to index past the detent at times if I get too vigorous with the lever... this results if crushed brass at times...

After I get the 550 running well I will probably send the Lee in for a new head and then gift it.

;)
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

If the Lee isn't indexing properly, you might just need to tweak the adjustment nut or replace the ratchet thingy. It's plastic and will wear out. fiddy cents for a new one. Or, if you really want to blow some time, you can have my Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro progressive press. It's the first Lee product I've used that really is junk. BTW, I'm a red fan boy . . . I like Forster, Hornady, and Lee presses!
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Nope, the spring for the detent ball is weak and the head is a bit too loose.... It was well loved when I got it and I've reloaded on it for YEARS.... Funny thing is I bought several spare index rachets (plastic square thingy) and changed the first one out just last year because I wanted to... wasn't wore out. The rod is adjusted for indexing correctly. It's just the inertia will over power the detent ball at times.... It's tired. :)