picture of the box or jig

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

picture of the box or jig

Post by _Shorty »

Anyone have a picture of the box or jig for checking stock measurements? There's some interest in building one here, but might save us some time if anyone has a picture of one handy. Thanks.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: picture of the box or jig

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Unless you are planning on running a national event "The Box" is completely unnecessary. I've yet to see even a regional use one.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

Perhaps. It could also save someone some heartache if they plan to travel to a larger event. Figuring one out from scratch is obviously possible, going by the measurements in the rule book. It would likely be easier to accomplish having seen an example, too, though. And of course it is possible to simply bust out the measuring tape. Might the jig simply be to save a lot of time when having to measure a ton of rifles, then? I suppose so.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Here's probably the only picture of the "GAUGE" or "jig" used for qualifying a rifle for the Silhouette Nationals. It consist of a plexiglass base that cradles the gun and some sliding blocks that are inserted to check various dimensions.
Over my 20+ years in Silhouette I've seen it used by the 'old guard' with some consistency but as the Hunter Guns became more edgy a growing controversy developed.
I believe there are a few people left that can really tell you the history of the jig and its proper use. To try to build one for personal use would be futile at best without the full blueprints from the NRA. And, I'm not sure the jig currently meets the specs, whatever they are being that the currently rule books don't seem to reflect what the current rules are.
None of my guns have ever come close to not passing inspection but I've seen many an argument with guns that are on the edge.
A good start would be to have the NRA publish what the current rules are for ALL Silhouette Rifles.
ppkny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

Thank you very much for the picture!

Does this not contain what you're after?

https://competitions.nra.org/competitio ... ule-books/

https://competitions.nra.org/media/7825 ... lebook.pdf
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

There is no real need for the box anymore. The rule for the drop at the toe of the butt stock is not there anymore.

Make a 2.25 inch c channel out of wood or whatever, if it fits in the loading port then you are fine in the depth of stock department. Also make a gauge 1.5 inches tall for checking scope clearance and 1 for the trigger guard. This is not rocket science nor are we measuring to the thousandth here.