Future of the Nationals?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Future of the Nationals?

Post by sdwooster »

I have been doing some thinking on the future of our Nationals, this is just my opinion. It seems to me that ever since Greg Conner was replaced the NRA'S interest has gone down hill. Jim stepped up one year as well as Jeanne. Both did a great job. I don't know for sure but I am hoping that they got compensated for there work. And if they did, it probably wasn't enough. And then the score keepers where cut, don't know for sure bit I think that was the NRA. I think they are hoping we go away, good luck with that!!!!!! So I think now that they have to pay people to run it that are not already on the payroll they seeing the money slipping out of there hands. And they don't like it. So now they are wanting or forcing Rilfe Clubs to run it, I don't know if they are getting money or not. So my problem is Ridgeway has it this year, what Club will or can do it next year? Remember Whittington just supplies target setters and range for a price. As I said just my opinion, I hope I am wrong. So I am gearing up for Ridgeway, looking forward to see everybody over there. Thanks Ridgway volunteers for taking on the problem.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Future of the Nationals?

Post by cedestech »

Your not the only one wondering the same questions....

But hey, as so many oblivious people here and on on FB are saying...

ya'll just mad it's at Ridgeway....

:-B
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

I understand that LASC has a nice facility. I don't know if they have the room or the inclination to hold the Nationals. As was mentioned on another thread every three years, Los Angeles, Raton and Ridgway sounds fair. May not be doable, but would spread the fun around the lower 48.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Hosspower
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hosspower »

Currently in IHMSA the Oklahoma City gun club is the only place able/willing to put on the internationals. If they were to 1 year say no I'm pretty certain that would be the end.

Tusco has had them in the past but man power is no longer there for a days long championship match. I still enjoy the monthly weekend matches though.

Targets were moved out of Ft. Stockton.

The only national/international match I ever attended was the 2018 IHMSA internationals in OKC. 2020 will be the 7th internationals in 9 years at OKC.

IHMSA East and West coast championships have both gone away. The governing body has no leverage to force a club to hold a championship match.

The bigger take away from this is I'm glad there are clubs able and willing to put on these championship matches. The governing body isn't going to put on the show for the competitors. Are there any more than 5 clubs total able to hold nationals the way Ridgway and Raton can? I see it turning into match directors that can handle these matches working out a rotation between themselves. If it turns into only 1 club willing to do the match it won't be much of a rotation. Look at IHMSA. These words are just my thoughts on nationals going forward.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Most competitors and clubs have made a considerable investment in time, money and emotion or you might use the term passion for silhouette. The salaried NRA hierarchy does not have that same passion. It is a job for them. It is a passion for the silhouette shooter. In an adversarial business environment, this is where they have a huge advantage over the individual competitors and clubs. So, tell me specifically what financial and emotional investment the NRA has made for silhouette?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:41 pm So, tell me specifically what financial and emotional investment the NRA has made for silhouette?
Believe if you search the book fiasco from last year this was alluded to....

BTW, where is my buddy Jason?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

With the Ridgway Club saving the NRA so much money by taking on the job of hosting Nationals this year and how many great comments about the facility there maybe we should petition the NRA to make that the permanent home cor the Silhouette Nationals?

Before anyone thinks that this benefits me somehow I live about 3 hours from The Whittington Center. I typically go up there a couple times is year just to plink.
There neighboring state championships that are enjoyable and I doubt that I would miss out if the permanent home for nationals is to become Ridgway.

It is better for the NRA if it saves them money to be spent on other shooting activities.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

DavidABQ, the folks that run the matches at Ridgway have personally responded many times on this forum and face to face with many of us that it is too much for them to run the Silhouette Nationals every year. They stated they were fine with every other year.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

LASC has the facility that has hosted Nationals and Internationals for NRA and IHMSA for pistol silhouette matches and therefore Lever matches.

In the 70's and 80's it could be up to 800+ entries :shock:

Our club doesn't have the man power due to dwindling and aging membership as we once had.

That and the fact that we are in California has made our day in the sunshine dim.

We are actively trying to build our club and programs back, but it is tough like many of the other clubs know.

Ridgway has a great group of people to support the sport, so maybe one day we too will be able to participate again.

And again, shameful use of a thread to promote our State Match:

California Lever Action State Match to be held May 22-24th, 2020 at the Los Angeles Silhouette Club (LASC), stay tuned for more info!

And people, don't be afraid to travel with your guns to California. Visitors are treated nice and they don't take your guns away.
Now if you live in California, that is different, they do everything they can to take your guns away :lol:

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The reason the Whittington Center has held the nationals is range size. The NRA put a minimum of how many shooters can be put on the line at one time. The only two clubs that I'm aware of that are able to meet that minimum is Raton and Ridgway. Ridgway is basically independently run by the club supplying 100% of the man power(for little compensation if any) to run a match. I have not seen any other Club that has put that much effort into OUR sport.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Another Dang 9, Phoenix AZ has hosted in rotation the SB and HP Nationals, but that is a sore subject best left alone.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Phoenix in the summer...yikes. A winter match sounds better.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

I was at that match. It was warm and completely dried all the moss of me. The winter would be nice but target setters might a problem. And I don't think they have the man power as well. Unless other people helped.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 pm DavidABQ, the folks that run the matches at Ridgway have personally responded many times on this forum and face to face with many of us that it is too much for them to run the Silhouette Nationals every year. They stated they were fine with every other year.
It benefits the NRA to have them at Ridgway free of charge. They should just take one for the team and put their personal issues aside!

What is more important? Their personal lives or the NRAS? I mean we the membership have been the NRAs private ATM For years; why would a club of volunteers balk at something like host the Nationals every year? :-o

No worries; there are other shooting sports looking to grow and when the NRA kills off silhouette those other shooting sports will take us in.

The above was written with sarcasm.
Last edited by DavidABQ on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I became suspicious of the NRA Competitions Division when they pulled away from Camp Perry for paper punching rifle nationals. Now they are moving the pistol matches.

this is from another forum, quote is supposedly from a CMP letter:
"The NRA Competitions Division has advised the CMP that this year's NRA Pistol Championships will be NRA's final competition at Camp Perry, Ohio. The decision to move all NRA championships to Atterbury, Indiana, is a business decision made solely by the NRA. The NRA believes this move will better position it to focus on the continuing battle to protect this country's Second Amendment rights."

business decision to protect the 2nd amendment? These Camp Perry issues are not directly linked to silhouette but...

Now the NRA can't get 50 people to shoot their NRA national smallbore rifle championship, and the CMP camp perry match only had about 90. Any of you who shot smallbore at Perry in the past remember hundreds of competitors and the tremendous atmosphere. We shot a match at Perry last summer and it was still fun but a far cry from the good old days.

So I'm very happy we have a national championship and I hope it will be well-attended.