Future of the Nationals?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Future of the Nationals?

Post by cedestech »

I'm putting it in writing here....

I have 3:1 odds that the NRA goes into a sanctioning/record keeping only body within the next 2-3 years. Any National championships will be ran the same as a state/regional.

(hope I'm wrong...)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

Not likely to have more than one Nationals for any one discipline. There's only one Nation. Would that be first come first serve or apply years ahead like the Olympics?
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

cedestech wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:54 am I'm putting it in writing here....

I have 3:1 odds that the NRA goes into a sanctioning/record keeping only body within the next 2-3 years. Any National championships will be ran the same as a state/regional.

(hope I'm wrong...)
Hmmmmm, I hope you are wrong too but I can't say I will be surprised if it comes to pass.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

Emmett, that's exactly my thoughts. Kinda scary a guy from Washington and you have the same thoughts. My only thought is how much it will cost for there great record keeping they do. One of the main reasons for not running regional match was the $8 or more per competitor. With s $35 entry makes it tight on breaking even. I still believe we need the NRA, I wish they quit pissing money away. From the article someone posted they have a long day to go. Just my opinion. As Emmett says, my wording and spelling might be wrong. Because I am sick on the couch. Darn wife, I think see is after my rifles.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I belonged to a large motorsport organization that found there was way more money in lobbying then promoting and went through the same transition....

The transition from running/promoting to sanctioning/record keeping....

Also as with people/business, past performance is a usually a good indicator or future performance and trends stay heading in the direction they are going unless remedial action is
applied....

Or I could be talking out my butt... it's been known to happen... :shock:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

When I started shooting NRA rifle silhouette national championships, they were sanctioned but not run by the NRA. My first one was at Phoenix AZ in 1978, a HP match with close to 300 hundred shooters (not guns) only one class. Then they started moving them around to other parts of the country but always run by the hosting club not the NRA.

There were a couple of instances in the 80's that due to the fact that the club's lacked the help or experience to conduct a match of that magnitude for the first time, they were overwhelmed by the task and criticized by the participants that expected better organization. To say the least those two unnamed locations never asked the NRA for an opportunity to host the nationals again.

With the exception of Lever Action most of the other silhouette disciplines have but a fraction of the participants we used to have and there are several facilities that could handle the number of shooters in attendance. The NRA had put a minimum number of banks a range had before they would let a club host the nationals but the numbers now a days do not warrant that requirement.

The truth of the matter is that our sport has lost the novelty it once had and hardly anybody knows about it anymore because lack of publicity. HP and SB are not easy to master and most people are not up to the challenge because those two disciplines require hard work.

I am glad that there are a few places like Ridgway, Pe Ell, Montana, etc. that can still draw a fair amount of shooters to their matches. Here in California for the first time since I started shooting metallic silhouettes we did not have a HP or SB rifle silhouette state championships.
Tony Tello
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Maybe this is the beginning of the end for silhouette in this country. I better go sell my Anschutz before the market is flooded with old silhouette rifles. **==
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Agree that the numbers that attend can be handled by many more ranges then the requirement.

That sucks about no SB/HP state. Is it attendance or no one wants to run it?
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

i assure all of you that for the last 12 years I have conducted a very good Regional high power match. We only have 6 bays of 5, not enough for a national. We're located in Missouri near a major airport and metropolitan areas, we have provided food, beverages, merchandise, a superb facility, covered firing line, target setters, etc and we are reasonably priced. We have always held the tournament the 3rd weekend in August because every national until 2019 was held in July. So why the change to August this year after publicizing Raton in July? If this is true We're now screwed and I may have to cancel the Regional unless I can get at least 25 commitments in a hurry. If I have to cancel my club may very likely end the entire program given the declining attendance at monthly matches ( we have every manner of other competitions that vie for range dates) So WTF....we have always supported our sport
jbolt
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbolt »

lone ringer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:30 pm Here in California for the first time since I started shooting metallic silhouettes we did not have a HP or SB rifle silhouette state championships.
The La Gloria Silhouette Club in Gonzales will be hosting the state SB & HP this year on two separate weekends. SB on 5/2 (std) & 5/3 (hunter). HP on 10/3 (std) & 10/4 (hunter). I believe notices will be going out soon.

cedestech - the last CA state SB & HP match was in 2018 at the Aveanl Silhouette Club . Rough guess was 30+ competitors. I think it is a combination of declining attendance, low pre-registration and people committing to help.

We have seen a steady decline at our monthly SB match, mostly in the last couple of years which I believe is due to people fleeing CA. I will be doing that myself next year.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Snake wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:48 pm If this is true We're now screwed and I may have to cancel the Regional

So WTF....we have always supported our sport
No good deed goes unpunished...
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

jbolt wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:07 pm I will be doing that myself next year.
I feel for you. I think the state is a loss. Not to be political but just remember what you are fleeing and don't bring it with you...

:ymhug:
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

DavidABQ wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:18 pm
atomicbrh wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 pm DavidABQ, the folks that run the matches at Ridgway have personally responded many times on this forum and face to face with many of us that it is too much for them to run the Silhouette Nationals every year. They stated they were fine with every other year.
It benefits the NRA to have them at Ridgway free of charge. They should just take one for the team and put their personal issues aside!
Or at least it benefits Wayne's wardrobe acquisitions.

What is more important? Their personal lives or the NRAS? I mean we the membership have been the NRAs private ATM For years; why would a club of volunteers balk at something like host the Nationals every year? :-o

No worries; there are other shooting sports looking to grow and when the NRA kills off silhouette those other shooting sports will take us in.

The above was written with sarcasm.
if it was spot on, and correct in all counts (except conflating Wayne's wardrobe with the needs of the NRA), then can it really be sarcasm.

I'm willing to wager the Nationals will never return to Raton.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Prior to Jim Kidwell and Jeannie Ring running the nationals at Raton; did anyone else beside NRA staff run the matches there?
My personal history at Raton started in 2002 and Greg Connors was running the matches there then.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Something or someone stopped the 2020 NRA Silhouette Nationals at Raton.
What or who was it?
Why is this such a great mystery?
Why is there no transparency?