Rule 6.2 Firing Point

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Rule 6.2 Firing Point

Post by atomicbrh »

From the latest version of the rule book:
6.2 Firing Point - That part of the range provided for the competitor
immediately in the rear of the firing line from which firing takes place. Each
firing point is numbered to correspond with a bank of targets. Each firing point
should have a minimum width of 6 feet.

During the Smallbore (not lever action) match at Raton this year I noticed each firing point was 6 feet by 6 feet.
It dawned on me that there must be a reason for that because Whittington appeared to have built everything on their ranges precisely to the minimum NRA specifications. So I looked in the rule book and there it was.

We shoot at a lot of ranges that have less than 6 foot spaces for each firing point.
What about you?
It is something to keep in mind when building a new range.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Rule 6.2 Firing Point

Post by cedestech »

I would say "most" ranges I have visited do not have a 6X6 firing point. Most of those are older firing line/ranges too. Some of them are multi use ranges, not dedicated to silhouette. Some have concrete benchrest benches and that definitely puts a constraint on firing lines....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Looks like another of the many rules that should be removed.

Dustin
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

dustinflint wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am Looks like another of the many rules that should be removed.

Dustin
Agreed!

The NRA should stick with "what is commonly in use" paradigm.

-Charlie Meli
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

dustinflint wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am Looks like another of the many rules that should be removed.

Dustin
Agreed... the book could use a cleaning...

Get rid of some old stuff and clean the good stuff so you can see them clearly....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Dustin
Yep. I don't have a problem with a good rulebook cleansing.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

atomicbrh wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 am... Each firing point should have a minimum width of 6 feet.

Remember, "should" does not equal "must".

Dustin may argue with me (he is a lawyer ya' know :lol: ) but in my mind "should" is a recommendation whereas "must" is a requirement (rule).

If you approach the reading in that way then it seems ok to me as-is.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

acorneau wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 pm
atomicbrh wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 am... Each firing point should have a minimum width of 6 feet.
Dustin may argue with me (he is a lawyer ya' know :lol: )
Dustin is a lawyer? I have to admit that I am not surprised after seeing him at Nationals with a rule book arguing with one of the line officers over a barrel resonator.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

acorneau wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 pmRemember, "should" does not equal "must".

Dustin may argue with me (he is a lawyer ya' know :lol: ) but in my mind "should" is a recommendation whereas "must" is a requirement (rule)
Actually I agree with you. But I still prefer a short, simple rule book without superfluous suggestions that can easily turn into arguments about unimportant things. I think that if a rule (or suggestion) can be removed from the rulebook without negatively affecting the spirit of the sport, it should be gone.
DavidABQ wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pmDustin is a lawyer? I have to admit that I am not surprised after seeing him at Nationals with a rule book arguing with one of the line officers over a barrel resonator.
I prefer "defender of rights and freedom," but lawyer will suffice.

To be accurate, I was on the jury at nationals and the question was not only whether the thing would be considered legal/illegal by the jury but more importantly whether under the rules a competitor could be forced to remove it from his rifle without a complaint or protest from a competitor.

Dustin
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I stand corrected, it is " defender of rights and freedoms."
**==
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I think Allen is correct in that "should" does not equal the term "must" or the term "minimum 6 foot width".
That being said and after some measuring.
Put a rifle stand similar to the Whittington Smallbore Silhouette stands in the center of your shop.
Put the typical spotting scope tripod and your spotter person in place.
Stand there beside the rifle stand like you are the right handed competitor shooting.
Now flip those positions for a left handed shooter because space for a left handed shooter must be taken into account.
If you put measuring tapes on the floor to measure that footprint of those two people in position with all their equipment,
it comes out to almost exactly 6 feet by 6 feet.
If a rifle stand or table is located at the front of the firing line with the competitor directly behind the table the space needed would be different.
For a center stand with the shooter right or left of the stand and not behind it the original creators of the rulebook must have actually measured out the space needed.
Something to think about if a person is ever involved in building a single purpose silhouette range from scratch.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Wow! Somebody actually is reading the rules, what a concept!
Rick
Richard
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:00 am
Now flip those positions for a left handed shooter because space for a left handed shooter must be taken into account.
Does it.... I think they should be subjugated to the outer edges of the firing line... preferably out in the rain... :ymdevil: (they stare at me and make fun when shooting from the position on my right...)
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Not only is Dustin a lawyer, I heard he even had to work the other day. Image
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Doodaddy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:31 am Not only is Dustin a lawyer, I heard he even had to work the other day. Image
That is defender of rights and freedom!

**==