Turned steel chicken

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Turned steel chicken

Post by psteiger »

Looks like Emmett has Corneauitis
951.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

:))

I like the one below that thinks it's an ostrich.

Oh, don't know if you heard but at the match yesterday I had a chicken pop up on the tail-side edge of the base and set right back down on the pad, just like a low rider with hydraulics on the front.

Must be my new thing. ~x(
Allen Corneau
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

.............at least you're hitting them...........just sayin :D
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Same match I turned one pig 180 so the black side was facing us and then #15 center punched it and it just sat there.... Today was a animal turning like crazy day... T turned a couple herself.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I waited for the second page to tell my story that is more bizarre than any of these.
Shooting a monthly smallbore(scoped) rifle match in Gonzales, LA. at the famous East Ascension Parish training facility in the Summer of around 2002. Match director was Jerry Tureau. I was using a CZ452 American with a Weaver T36. The chickens were on stakes driven in the ground. Hit a chicken in the foot. Went probably 20 feet or more straight up in the air tumbling end over end during the whole flight. Came back down on the same stand just like a person had set it there. I had enough follow through back then that I saw the whole thing in the scope. Our son was spotting and will verify this. Before you say the field of view is too small to see 20 feet at 40 meters, I followed the chicken catching view of it as it landing in the bottom of the field of view.
Did not count it as a hit but probably should have. No picture. Everyone has seen a smallbore chicken sitting on a stand.
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

Sounds like a hit to me ;) ""Any target that is hit, causing one or both feet to
be moved off the stand or pad, and make contact with another supporting
surface, but still remain upright, shall be scored as a hit. ""

Let the games begin.............
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:17 pm Hit a chicken in the foot. Went probably 20 feet or more straight up in the air tumbling end over end during the whole flight. Came back down on the same stand just like a person had set it there.
Just being able to tell your story is worth more than one point.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

psteiger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:38 am Looks like Emmett has Corneauitis951.jpg
What he didn’t show was in the adjacent bank to the right, there was another turned turkey on the same row/position.... I think there’s a conspiracy!

- Tim
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Several years ago, while shooting the HP match in Zwolle, I managed to turn a pig 180 degrees. I clipped it high in the rump, and when I saw the pig start to wobble, I looked down to cycle another round into the chamber. When I brought my rifle back up, I was quite surprised :shock: to see one of my pigs facing the wrong direction. I looked back at my spotter....he was just shaking his head in disbelief. I know some pigs can be balanced on the front foot, but to rotate the target all the way around and the foot come to rest on the rail was crazy.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Bobby and Greg: Those are shots that no one would believe unless they saw the shot take place.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

This discussion reinforces that what sets Silhouette apart from the paper punching, electronic screen and dinging the hanging plate competitions is the fact that the targets must be knocked down. No sport out there like it. We should avoid the conversion of Silhouette competition to paper targets or electronic screen targets and only use resettables when circumstances dictate that regular targets cannot be used.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:36 am only use resettables when circumstances dictate that regular targets cannot be used.
I'm 50/50 on resetables.... they are not forgiving for edge hits and if not designed or adjusted correctly can be problematic on marginal calibers.... they are expensive.... but damn, they make a match run faster.... by alot!
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Resettables are necessary for air rifle and air pistol silhouette because the small size of the targets make finding them and resetting them difficult. Resettables are good for monthly approved matches because the necessity of making more direct hits offsets the higher scores resulting from familiarity with the conditions at their local range. People also tend to be more relaxed and better rested for their local matches than when travelling. In my opinion resettables help offset home field advantage and prevent the competitor from being elevated to a falsely high classification.