SK Specification Match

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: SK Specification Match

Post by cedestech »

Jason wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am I don't know anyone at our matches that would be willing to put some random ammo into their rifles, even the relatively inexpensive ones. I'm certain that no one with a rifle that they've actually put a lot of time and money into building would do such a thing. To add to that, the difference in in point of impact between standard and high velocity ammo is enough to miss smallbore turkeys and rams entirely.
It was meant to be facetious... very tongue in cheek... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

cedestech wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 am It was meant to be facetious... very tongue in cheek... ;)
I understand your comment was meant to be facetious, but this thread in general and many of the comments are intended to be serious suggestions and comments. Newer shooters may not yet have the context to know the difference. :)
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Jason wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 am
cedestech wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 am It was meant to be facetious... very tongue in cheek... ;)
I understand your comment was meant to be facetious, but this thread in general and many of the comments are intended to be serious suggestions and comments. Newer shooters may not yet have the context to know the difference. :)
Honestly I have only skimmed it. I believe the cliff notes version is along the lines of a match that everyone has to shoot the same ammo.... if that ammo is what your rifle likes I supposed that is OK, if you have a rifle that loves Eley and hates everything else... not so much. That is where my comment about if you want to have a completely random match just make everyone dump random ammo in a bucket and pull your ammo from it. Actually I'd be down with that. I have a expensive frankenhunter but I honestly can't see any damage being cause by feeding it a bit of random crap.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I started the original post. I meant it to be a serious idea. It was not trolling.
All of our rifles were built by Mark Pharr. They are quality and are maintained correctly.
If I ever decide to sell one of our smallbore rifles, know that it has never had a single round of junk ammo down it.
Only Sk-Jagd, Lapua or Eley. No Federal, CCI, Remington, Aquila, Norma or anything of that nature.
The original idea was that the club running the match will provide each competitor a predetermined amount of MATCH ammo to shoot a match with as part of the entry fee. If I were running that match it would be Standard Plus or Rifle Match.
There are specification matches of all kinds in many different shooting sports. It is not a new idea.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

I have been following this thread with interest and you may or may not know that in another country what somebody suggested has had an immense success. Aguila the maker of a lot of many kinds of ammunition is located in Mexico and they support the shooting sports in ways not seen anywhere else. They sponsor a lot of different shooting events including smallbore rifle and pistol matches all over the country and the only thing the competitors have to abide by is that they have to use Aguila ammunition at those events. Mexican shooters can buy Aguila from distributors everywhere and can also buy RWS and Eley but only at a store run by the military in Mexico City and they can only buy one brick of it so most shooters do not have access to the good stuff and if they do is because they bought it in the black market at double the price we pay here in the US.
We seem to think that anything other than Eley or Lapua (SK, Wolf) is junk and we would not dare use it in our rifles for fear or ruining them but that is not a proven fact. Great scores have been shot with inexpensive Federal 711 by shooters I know like Dennis Dadian and Agustin Sanchez from California. Not to name all of the great scores shot by Mexican shooters in Mexico using Aguila Standard Velocity.
Tony Tello
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:39 pm , know that it has never had a single round of junk ammo down it.
Well, alrighty then... LOL.....

If Remington Thunderbolt shot in my "highly maintained quality built Evelio smithed" rifle I'd shoot the hell out of it...

Let me know handing out a couple boxes of ammo increases your match turn out. You may be onto something. ;)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

To be more specific when using the term junk ammo I meant that those 5 brands of ammo all have at least one or more types in their product line that have proven to be minute of barn door if the bullet actually makes it out of the barrel.
Last edited by atomicbrh on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

atomicbrh wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:27 am To be more specific when using the term junk ammo I meant that those 5 brands of ammo all have at least one or more types in their product that have proven to be minute of barn door if the bullet actually makes it out of the barrel.
I know what you mean... Just pulling your chain. :)

I know everyone reading this knows someone who spends serious money for 1/4 minute accuracy when they have a 6 minute hold...

It's the old adage that you don't need a $2500 AR, you need a $700 AR, $500 worth of ammo and $1000 worth of classes to learn to shoot it correctly. ;)