Thought of something.

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Thought of something.

Post by DavidABQ »

At the LGS I saw one of those sporterized Swedish Hauser done by Kimber. I really liked the rifle except for the chap stock. It got me wondering if anyone uses one for silhouette? I mean a sporterized military rifle. Everyone seems to shoot Tina, Remington, Savage, Sugar, ect.and I got thinking that maybe I could drop my Mosin Nagant into a nice sporter stock, have the bolt handle bent and put a premium barrel on it. Sounds like it would be different and uncommon.

The 7.62x54R is such a mild recoiling cartridge it might just work. Heck I need a new stock and trigger for my Remington 700 so why not something different with a European flair?

Just thinking out loud here.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Thought of something.

Post by frankmako »

in el plaso during the mid 80's i knew a guy that used a sporterized british 303 in hp matches. the only thing done to the rifle was the normal removal of some of the stock. no other changes to the rifle. he put on a el paso weaver t-16 scope and off to the matches he went. he did well with the old cut up surplus rifle. but the rifle was hard on brass. he only got a few reloads on the brass before the case would split.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Hmmmm, I had not considered brass life. I wonder how hard it is to find a nice sporter stock for a model 96 Mauser and if the LGS still has it?

6.5x55 brass is easier to find than 7.62x54R.

Hmmm, something to consider.

Thanks.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I've had a few play around sporterzed Mausers including a really nice Kimber 6.5X55. I asked the same question about using one for HP. I was told lock time and weight.... which is true. They are a tank and the lock time is slow.... Other then that, why not?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I suppose there is a good reason sporterized Mausers are not used.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Lock time, triggers, and weight make a Mauser problematic. Although they are and remain great foundations for custom hunting rifles if you have the money to straighten them out. The G33/40 Wehrmacht ski troop Mauser makes a great sporter....You may also notice the lack of 1903 A3's on the match circuit ditto for Model 70's(weight). Seems to me that more barrel and less receiver is optimum for our game....but as long as you come out and shoot use what you think has the ju-ju