How far will you drive for a local match?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

How far will you drive for a local match?

Post by atomicbrh »

How far do you routinely drive for Approved NRA monthly club type matches? Our closest three "local" Smallbore matches are respectively, 2 hours, 2 hours 40 minutes and a solid 3 hours (without stopping for anything) one way. I am wondering if other folks are driving these distances just to shoot local matches.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: How far will you drive for a local match?

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote:How far do you routinely drive for Approved NRA monthly club type matches? Our closest three "local" Smallbore matches are respectively, 2 hours, 2 hours 40 minutes and a solid 3 hours (without stopping for anything) one way. I am wondering if other folks are driving these distances just to shoot local matches.
I live roughly equidistant between to regular matches that are roughly five hours away. I have never lived closer than three hours from a regular match, and never lived closer than three states from one of the higher level matches.

I am in the process of essentially semi-retiring, if that works out the way I want it to we will relocate closer to one of the more active clubs. If Louisiana was as hilly my as my beloved TN I would already be there :)
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

The closest match to me is 2 hours away. It is a 40 shot smallbore match for each gun. I don't hesitate going, silhouette is too much fun to not go. There used to be a 60 shot match which was nice because you get to shoot more but a match is a match. Highpower is a 3.5 hour drive each way and I don't mind that one bit either. I just made one of my monthly pilgrimages yesterday, had to leave at 5 am. It is always nicer to have some others with you to make the trip.
Last edited by Emietenkorte on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

We drove 3 hours to a 50 yd fun match this weekend. Kind of silly if you think about it, but we have fun with the guys so try to make a couple of matches with them a year.

Wish there was an NRA match in this half of TN, but there isn't.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

TRC is 80 miles one way and I go twice a month.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

We shoot NRA approved air rifle and air pistol matches on our property. It is nice not to have to crank a vehicle to shoot a match. We can practice smallbore at home but we do not have enough room to hold smallbore matches. It is a real treat for us to shoot a smallbore match so we drive.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

I am in the process of essentially semi-retiring, if that works out the way I want it to we will relocate closer to one of the more active clubs. If Louisiana was as hilly my as my beloved TN I would already be there :)
SqHunter,

We have all the hilly country you could ask for in Arkansas. But even more important, we shoot all 3 cowboy disciplines, smallbore, highpower and black powder cartridge rifle matches. If you make it to our regional match in April, stay a few days extra and find some property to buy.

Greg
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

The club I belong to has monthly matches at the range on the west side of town, roughly 20 minutes drive on the weekend.

The club down south of town has theirs two weeks later from us. It takes me a little less than an hour to drive down there and more for the drive back.

I go to both of these matches almost every month.

Sounds like we are lucky here in the greater Houston area.
Allen Corneau
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

We have many matches here in Pennsylvania From where I live there is one every weekend, from 20 - 80 miles away. All the ranges are very nice.
45bpcr
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 45bpcr »

Hmmm, about 500 miles to shoot at Ridgway.

Craig
Live Free Or Die
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

We are very lucking in Houston, we have 2 small bore and 2 CLA matches a month localy.

I do travel to Austin almost monthly though (6 hour round trip) for their club CLA match.
If it is a well run and attended match it is well worth blocking out a day for shooting a match.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

I am also lucky here in South Carolina, but it is bittersweet. There are 3 ranges that are within an hour and a half drive of my house. My home, Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club is only about 30 minutes from my house in Aiken, SC. The match at Mid-Carolina outside Columbia is roughly an hour away. Reedy River gun club is about an hour and a half away. The only problem is my work schedule has me working weekend every other month, so I don't get to go to matches nearly as much as I want to.

There are also two matches in Western NC, one in North Georgia, and one in coastal Georgia that are all within 3-4 hours. So if I were to hit the lotto, I'd be shooting matches every week.
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

here in pa. I live 1,2 and 3 hours from 6 lever action matches, 1,2 and 3 hours from 5 small bore rifle matches , problem is they overlap some weekends, 4 lever in pa, 1 in ny and 1 in md, small bore is 3 in pa , 1 in ny and 1 in md
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

i drive 3 hours one way to one club, 2 1/2 hours one way for another club, and 15 minutes to my home club. i have driven a little over 4 hours one way for a match. you got to drive if you want to shoot.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I would have to drive close to 4 hours for a NRA match. I travel about 30 minutes to my club for our monthly matches which are not NRA approved.